Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm a wagon guy. I dabble in Fleetwoods (guilt by association) but am not as intimate (no jokes, okay) with them as I am with wagons. I have a '93 FWB here with a shroud and mechanical fan clutch (not twin electrics) and checked the SPID for rear gears and found GT4s. What the hell is this???

PS: It's a triple black car, too.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OOH! It's a '93 V4P tow package car. They got the firmer FE2 suspension, mechanical fan, and ALSO got a unique 3:73 rear end that no other B/D had. In 1993, base Fleetwoods had the open 2:56, Broughams the open 3:08, and Tow Packs the open 3:73.

It was only a one year thing too, since when the '94 LT1 came, the Tow Package was changed to include a 3:42 gear instead (with base remaining a 2:56 and Brougham going to a 2:93).

'94+ TP cars are rare enough, and '93s are just about non-existent. Years ago we looked at a triple black '93 that was one, but it was torn to shreds.

Also of interest, from someone one here who has a '93 Tow model, as well as a base 2:56 '95 Fleetwood and a '96 Roadmaster, he claims the '93 with the 3:73's and the L05 gets the best gas mileage of all.

Any other specs (mileage, other options, etc.) on this car? I'm always interested if it's special enough.

[ 12-04-2006, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: caddyguy109 ]

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually... the regular Fleets had 2.56s, the Broughams had 2.93s, and the tow package had 3.42s.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Caddylack:
Actually... the regular Fleets had 2.56s, the Broughams had 2.93s, and the tow package had 3.42s.
Yes, for the '94-96 years, and that's what I said.

For '93, it was open 2:56 base, open 3:08 Brougham, and open 3:73 Tow Package. Only the base was the same for '93 compared to the other years.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wooohoooo! I'm so used to V92 for the tow pack Roadmaster wagons, I didn't even look on the SPID list for tow pack Fleetwood. Thanks for your help - it's spit shined in the garage bay behind me. Now I can't wait to DRIVE it!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Ruphrax:
Wooohoooo! I'm so used to V92 for the tow pack Roadmaster wagons, I didn't even look on the SPID list for tow pack Fleetwood. Thanks for your help - it's spit shined in the garage bay behind me. Now I can't wait to DRIVE it!
Yep--they're rare, and VERY nice. There actually are a few weird and random V92 Fleetwoods out there--with the same mechanical fan and firmer suspension, but a 2:93 like the Roadmaster/Caprice--but only a few. The majority are V4P's, which got lower rear gears than any other B/D body of the time, unique PCM tuning, and also could tow 7k lbs vs. the 5k of the V92 cars.

That said, Tow Package Fleetwoods are coveted as being the best combo available, with considerably sharper handling and less of a boat ride, as well as quite noticeable performance differences from the gears and tuning.

Have fun with it...maybe even try to find a 7k lb load somewhere to pull

Do you have any pics of it yet or will it soon be on Ebay?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If all goes well with the test drive and inspection, it'll be on the 'bay tomorrow night. I don't list them until I've checked them out. Thanks again!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Ruphrax:
If all goes well with the test drive and inspection, it'll be on the 'bay tomorrow night. I don't list them until I've checked them out. Thanks again!
Welcome. Can't wait to see it!

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, that would make the perfect daily driver.

I am still deciding whether to buy a '93 Fleetwood or early '80s RWD Coupe Deville as my beater.

I placed a bid :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by 96Fleetwood:
Man, that would make the perfect daily driver.

I am still deciding whether to buy a '93 Fleetwood or early '80s RWD Coupe Deville as my beater.

I placed a bid :D
Definately a '93, but I'm biased. There's still a lot I like better about ours, at least stock, even over my '95.

That, and coming from Ruphrax, I don't think he'd ever lead you wrong--give it a thorough detailing, and it would really be great. With all the tow pack goodies to make it strong enough not to "need" any mods, at least not for daily driving.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by caddyguy109:
Definately a '93, but I'm biased. There's still a lot I like better about ours, at least stock, even over my '95.

That, and coming from Ruphrax, I don't think he'd ever lead you wrong--give it a thorough detailing, and it would really be great. With all the tow pack goodies to make it strong enough not to "need" any mods, at least not for daily driving.
Really? What is it you like better about the 93's? Just curious. Biggest advantage I could see would be the cheap parts for and relatively easy to work on TBI engine.

And Fred is a great guy to buy from. Two thumbs WAY up! ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not a lot, and I do love a lot about my '95 more, but back to back, the '93 just feels a lot torquier down low (even if number-wise it isn't), it shifts much better, and just has always had a strong "turbine" feel to it under power. The '95 with the LT1 is definately revvier, has more up high, and is a bit more free feeling when planted at lower speeds, but just doesn't come off as much of a stump puller (that's how even my brother described it) as the '93. It also seems to get considerably better gas mileage.

But in every other regard, mostly, on the '95 the larger mirrors are MUCH nicer, the firmer rear seat actually comfortable, and the LT1 does feel and sound a bit more modern overall. And with mods (all of our vehicles are bone stock), the LT1 has a LOT more cheap & easy bolt-on and programming potential, so it likely could feel a lot more like the '93 in such regards--just not as stock.

People always question me when I say things like this, since so many regard the TBI cars as dogs in comparison, but having both in the house, I stand by it. Pretty much why I still like '93s so much, even when others stick to mainly '94-96s as the "only" thing to consider. Dad's Roadie L05 feels a bit like a slug, though, and definately has different tuning than the Fleetwood L05.

[ 12-06-2006, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: caddyguy109 ]

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear ya. I certainly have nothing against the TBI cars. My CC has the L05 engine. The exhaust and intake are opened up a bit and it makes a huge difference. I do like opening the hood and seeing all that space to work! ;)

I like your term "stump puller" and it make sense because the L05/3 engines are pretty much truck engines stuck in a car. ;)

Alright, I'll stop thread-jacking now...
Mike

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. If I can ever get around to it, a few bolt-ons and some programming, and I hope to be at the right spot with the "feel" of my '95 ;)

Now, anyone else here interested in this triple black tow pack beauty from our friend Ruphrax/Fred? :cool:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just recently picked up a 1992 Caprice wagon with the L05 and tow package (3.23 w/posi) and it seems kinda like a dog. Right off the line it does have a good bit of grunt but deosn't compare to an LT1 car. The wagon weighs about the same as a FW so I'd guess the pulling power would be similar.
The mech clutch fan seems to be sort of a big drag on the car, though.
I think I've read before that the LTZ Caprice and 9C1 cars had different cams than civilian cars, so maybe the L05 Fleetwoods got the better cam???

Interesting in Ruphrax's ebay ad that the L05 Caddy has a different air intake than the L05 Caprice. Looks cooler.
I wonder if it flows better?

Anywho, I'm looking forward to eventually opening up the intake and exhaust on my L05. Seems like it needs it!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BCS:

Only the 9C1's L05 cars got the better cam.
The LTZ, Wagon, and Fleetwood did not.

Also, the MECH fan delete I did on my L05 made a HUGE difference. Didnt really show at the drag strip, but it feels a lot more responsive at low speed.

Is that intake on freds fleetwood stock?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, like I said, the LT1 still definately has more power all around, but the L05 feels more like a "stump puller" and, in ours at least, the '93 shifts much better (feel & timing) than my '95.

Also of note, we have 2 L05's, and the Buick Tow Pack car does not feel nearly as lively as the '93 regular Fleetwood. Still torquey, but not as quick. We've always thought one clear difference was probably the manual vs. electric fans setup, among other things.

Still would like to see what a '93 V4P Fleetwood with the 3:73 rear is like, though.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, a rare V4P 93 car! Nice!

3.73's for 93 V4P
3.42's for 94-96 V4P

I have always seen 3.73 geared rear ends for the Fleetwood on car-part.com. Usually at least 1 there, $300ish....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by RamAirRocket:
Cool, a rare V4P 93 car! Nice!

3.73's for 93 V4P
3.42's for 94-96 V4P

I have always seen 3.73 geared rear ends for the Fleetwood on car-part.com. Usually at least 1 there, $300ish....
Yeah, me too. Just rarely ever (usually only a 2 or 3 a year) that I even see an actual FW equipped as such on the net.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts