Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a 3 link suspension setup? what is needed to swap over besides torque arm mounts, torque arms and new control arms? Also, what is the ideal control arm angle for drag racing? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
As Bill stated you will need at least a panhard bar to hold it centered, just curious on why you would want to go to the three link setup anyway?! There isn't a whole lot of room back there to begin with, so it would take some engineering to figure it all out. As far as control arm angle the way that I have read it is it needs to be based on the best instant center. But there are several factors, read here, different car but same concept
http://8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244505

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what im really trying to do is to get a good setup that will hook like crazy and still corner pretty decent. From the people i have talked to(race car builders) they suggested a 3 link. the best of both worlds so to speak.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I don't know about going to a three link over a four link to be honest, the maybe right and really I have only dabbled in chassis dynamics. But really a three link you are going to take away from the handling aspect period, race cars are one thing, but trying to do street handling at the same time isn't really do able. There are plenty of guys on here that get there cars to hook like nobodies business, using the factory four link design. Sorry I guess I am biased and don't really like the three link idea, I think that with the weight of our cars and torque load and everything like that you will be breaking a three link set up more than you care to. Plus the rearend is going to try and push itself out of the side of the car with that setup. I would say you need to do a trial and error method, purchase a set of IC brackets from UMI and put those on and see what happens. But you should try factory setup first, then the brackets and go from there, our cars with slicks hook really well do to the weight. If you were going off roading with the car then a three link would work alright :)Hope this helps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with a four link if you move the control arms it causes oversteer which im trying to avoid. from what i see the three link handles well in the corners and you can really get good grip as well. i can make the brackets and torque arm. i just need the panhard bar

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I don't know man, I don't think that the three link is what you are going to want to be honest, I don't see a three link hooking as well as a four link for a drag racing application, plus you will have limited adjustability. The three link will work great for a Road Race application because of the anti-squat capabilites of it, but drag racing it doesn't as you want it to squat to transfer weight, this is just my opinion as really with our cars you can't get much better than what is factory. Well changing the control arms of course but that is a given. The four link will give you the best of both worlds and tackle what you need it to do for both drag racing and great handling.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tad has helped me out with the panhard bar. Heres a video i found on 4 link vs 3 link.
Too bad it doesnt show straight line traction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts