Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, shouldn't I be able to spin the tires on wet pavement ? This 305 in my RM wagon is tired by all means, but should still have some life left in it.. right ? No smoke or knocking, but she won't break the tires loose even on wet pavement. Also, when I come off an on ramp, I have let everyone go ahead of me since I can't get her up to 65-75 to get in with traffic. Should I try a tune up ? I did change the fuel filter, but that's about I'll I've done. Could the converter be clogged ? Thanx for any info.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How's the air filter? But yes, it could be the cat...

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunnno about buring rubber. The car is geared real low stock and does not make alot of RWHP.

How many miles are on the car?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you have a heavy car with 170 advertised H.P. Don't expect too much.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say you have something wrong.. On wet pavement you should definatly be able to get the tires to spin. I can powerslide my 305 on dry pavement. No MODS. Do the tuneup and midas or someone can do a backpressure test.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My '83 307 Olds wagon got real tired after 170K miles and would not spin on wet pavement. It ran another 140K after that before the car surrounding it fell apart. Sounds like it is getting weak, but it might still get you around for quite a while yet.

It also had a clogged converter, caused it to die one day, but that was when it had less then 3K miles on it (brand new car)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car has 198k on it and runs great other than having little to no power. I have a K & N filter and had a Flowmaster put on after I bought it. Could probably use plugs and wires and a tune up. I just thought maybe the converter was bad. Can any muffler shop do a back preasure check ?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thom,

You'll want to do a tune-up for sure. It seems that the distributor caps in my '92 LO3 don't last long. Perhaps I'm not buying good parts. Either way, I just put new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air cleaner, and fuel filter in my car. It made a huge difference in power.

Also remember that the timing needs to be set in these cars. Have you checked that? I have the timing set on my car to require the use of premium fuel. Basically I just filled the tank with premium, and kept advancing the timing a little at a time and drove around the block until I heard spark knock. I then retarded it just a teeny bit. That's an old hot-rodder's trick. Anyway, getting the timing as advanced as possible for the fuel you're running will make a huge difference in performance, and get you better fuel mileage at the same time.

One more thing. Check the hot air riser valve, which allows the engine to breathe hot air off the driver's side exhaust when the car is cold. Mine was sticking and not allowing the engine to get cold air when it warmed up. I removed the valve and the heat riser, and blocked off the hole in the air duct with a piece of rubber and a hose clamp. This fix alone really improved performance, and on a recent road trip I picked up a solid 2 MPG! My 80+ average speed trip for 400 miles, all flat interstate, yielded 26 MPG! That's very impressive for such a large car. My LT1s have never done that good (although my '94 does get 24 MPG on the highway).

Hope this helps :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like I have some stuff to do this weekend. Thank you for all the help. I'll try the tune up and poke around to see what eles might be up. Thanx again.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should be able to spin the tires on dry pavement. My car isn't a wagon, It's a '91 Cap with the L03, and I can spin them on dry. I did a complete tune-up last weekend, and found that it will slip in the wet when it hits second gear now :eek: (although that could be because of the cheap tires I have on it) I have close to 290,000km on it.

A tune up should make a world of difference in pick-up and go. Don't forget to clean the TB for good measure, and re-check the timing. Post the results!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my 83 wagon would never, in its entire life spin on dry pavement. My 87 sedan 305 would churn its one tire at 3/4 throttle though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, shouldn't I be able to spin the tires on wet pavement ? This 305 in my RM wagon is tired by all means, but should still have some life left in it.. right ? No smoke or knocking, but she won't break the tires loose even on wet pavement. Also, when I come off an on ramp, I have let everyone go ahead of me since I can't get her up to 65-75 to get in with traffic. Should I try a tune up ? I did change the fuel filter, but that's about I'll I've done. Could the converter be clogged ? Thanx for any info.
Bro get you a tune-up change fuel pump and change air filter and maybe throw a Exaust on there you will be good to go after that if she's berly moving then something is taking up all that power because u shouldn't be going that slow on the off ramp

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you truly love that car just put money into it it's old probably hasn't had a tune-up in years or anything new so just start little by little lmk after you do all that how she runs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts