Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating on switching my 305 for a 350 for my 93 caprice. I'm not looking to make huge amounts of HP, but a little bit more than what the 305 produces.

Here is the debate: for the money it would cost to buy a stock 350(500-800??) would it be more logical to do minor upgrades to my stock 305(parts + simply removing mech fan?) for the money?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I've been debating on switching my 305 for a 350 for my 93 caprice. I'm not looking to make huge amounts of HP, but a little bit more than what the 305 produces.

Here is the debate: for the money it would cost to buy a stock 350(500-800??) would it be more logical to do minor upgrades to my stock 305(parts + simply removing mech fan?) for the money?
go vortec, you can get a brand new shortblock for $1100.00, add a set of used heads and your way above performance wise.(lol)

I know it's alittle more than you want to spend maybe, but a good choice. Plenty of them out there used too

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
350...The 305 is a boat anchor. If the cost is the same, why would you even consider fewer cubes? You can get a good 350 at the local PNP JY for less than $350 (I just bought one) and drop it in to replace the 305. Don't forget to change the chip in the computer. You can't get much cheaper than that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent actually dug too deep into the price of a 350, only really browsing craigslist and came up with the ballpark mentioned above. I was wondering if the price of a 350 was upwards of 800, would the benefits of 800$ in upgrades surpass the stock 350.

If I went the 350 route, do I have to switch out of a 700R4 or will it bolt up?

My car being a 93, if I went a 350(L05) vs a LT1 is there any benefits computer wise?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.