Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i was looking for a 327 engine that i can make fuel injected...if anyone knows someone in northern florida for a good price...i will be putting it in a box caprice w/ a 350 turbo trans....any ideas?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
They're around, actually I think my uncle has one and I might as well if I dig through the shed, but I think it needs pistons.

Bigger question is why a 327 specifically? There's nothing that a 327 will do that a 350 or 400 won't do better in every conceivable way. You're going to have to rebuild it either way so may as well put the same time/money/effort/machine work into the better engine from the start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're around, actually I think my uncle has one and I might as well if I dig through the shed, but I think it needs pistons.

Bigger question is why a 327 specifically? There's nothing that a 327 will do that a 350 or 400 won't do better in every conceivable way. You're going to have to rebuild it either way so may as well put the same time/money/effort/machine work into the better engine from the start.
i thought it would be a better swap w/ the least amount of work to modify and i also wanted to use some of the old school badges

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
327 = 5.36L = almost the same as the most populous LS motors out there. Into a box Chevy, unless you absolutely want to keep the Gen I block this would probably be the best bang for your buck and result in a very reliable cruiser.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
A Gen 1 327 isn't going to be significantly easier/harder to modify than a 350 or 400 (or 305 or 283, etc). There are a few minor differences, but none that will make/break the deal. You can still use 327 badges if there's a 400 under the hood :).

A LS motor is a very popular swap and there is tons of aftermarket support for anything you can imagine. They won't drive as well as a Gen 1 400, but they will make more top end power.

There are a million different options, none of them "wrong" but there are advantages/disadvantages to some of them depending on what your goal is. If it's lowest $$ or highest performance or "cool" factor or what you already have, etc the advantages/disadvantages will change.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
If built properly a 327 can rev to the moon and back. Had one in my 69 Camaro and it was a beast.

The 400 is nice but had its own set of problems and failure points.

Everyone and their mom has a 350 or a f&%king LS. A 327 would definitely be different and as we can see, have folks scratching their heads ;)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
The short stroke (and resultant rod ratio) in a 327 made them rev happy for sure, but you can make a 400 just as (and more so) rev happy with 5.7" rods from a 350 or 6" rods and they'll be very happy at 8k+ if you've the cam and valvetrain to support it. The 5.565" rods in a stock 400 start to get unhappy at 4500, but make off idle power that is on par with a diesel (with the right heads/cam).

This is kind of where I was going on this whole thing - not having an engine to start with, the likelihood of finding any Gen 1 SBC that doesn't need rebuilt is pretty low, so if you're going to rebuild it anyway and invest in the hardware and machine work, may as well get the most for those fixed costs. Hard parts all cost the same within reason - Cam, Pistons, Rods, Bearings, etc are all more/less the same cost for any SBC so why not start with the biggest one?

·
Premium Member
5,142 Posts
To add, your typical 327 , cept maybe a 68-69 heads will be missing accessory mounting bosses.
Sure heads can be swaped but completly stock orginal stuff wont have.

People try use the 302 -327 , high reving side of things for a reason.
With decent internals, the rev limitations are going to be dictated by the valvetrain.
There are plenty of 3.48 stroke 350s and bigger reving to the moon.
Easiest swap is going to be an engine from the 70s or 80s
If you want to run electronic injection,
It is going to easiest to find some later firstgen SB that is already FI
Leave the original 327s to the guy needing for a resto.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I like the idea. As stated, 327, 350, 383, 400 - any of these would work and you could use the 327 badges regardless of how many cubic inches you actually have. Judging from your posts, it appears you are not looking to rule the drag strip. Any of these with a nice sounding cam and free flowing exhaust would look, sound good, and be fun to drive.

There are FI kits out that have the injectors inside the throttle body which resembles a carburetor aesthetically. What I like best about these kits is that you get all the benefits of fuel injection but it still looks stock-ish and old school under the hood. Some are self-tuning and easy to set up: Holley Sniper EFI 550-510 Holley Sniper EFI Self-Tuning Kit - Shiny Finish

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
FWIW I have/had a 327 in my 67 Camaro. Yes it did rev to the moon and I was happy with it in a Gen 1 Camaro. Original motor, 139k mi and it was using oil, smoking and finally the nylon gear timing gear let go which took out some valves. I could have rebuilt it, done a cam and bought better heads and in the end I would still have a 2 piece RMS SBC for more $ than buying a 410 hp 357 crate motor that was plug & play with full roller cam and 1 piece RMS with a warranty.

The 327 now resides in my shed next to a few other "I may use this in another build" dead motors

Op, you can find one like my dead motor for $100 if that is the path you want to go but for less $ you can have a "new" more modern motor so do what you want

1 - 11 of 11 Posts