Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
That's asking alot...I'm going to go out on a limb and say, no, not with the amount of money you'd have to spend.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
That's asking alot...I'm going to go out on a limb and say, no, not with the amount of money you'd have to spend.
It would be difficult to bore and stroke a standard deck GEN-1 block enough to get 427ci.

A standard deck GEN-2 (LT1) engine.........ain't gonna happen.

KW

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
you'll need a gen1 400 block or lsx to go that big...you bore and stroke a 350 or lt1 over a 408...better click ur stop watch everytime you drive it cuz aint gunna last long

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
you'll need a gen1 400 block or lsx to go that big...you bore and stroke a 350 or lt1 over a 408...better click ur stop watch everytime you drive it cuz aint gunna last long

Bingo, IDK why theres only 2 people with 400 blocks on here Ive seen.

406's are common share the same stroke as a 383 (because they use a 400 crank) and have more bore @ 4.155, 4.125 is stock.

Next go around im going 406. Oh btw you can take them out to 434's.

Also you can get a big inch gen1 block if you want. But you will pay. BIG TIME. Expect to spend about 2k+ on just a block.

·
Registered
483 Posts
yea i could have gone 434 but i expect to blow this up so i dont want to run out of safe bore.

and my block is a custom built 400 block. i know the bowtie block and the dart lil m block allow for more bore. but like you said your getting up there in money

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
So 427 is definitely out. What kind of numbers are people getting out of 396's as far as rwhp and trq
Yes.......my sig was visable in my previous post :rolleyes: ...... cwm2

Anyway.....my numbers are fairly typical of what you can get with a fairly well thought out 396.

KW

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just boring a block .060 gets you to ~357 cubic inches.
To go bigger you need a longer stroke crankshaft, matching connecting rods, and pistons.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Just boring a block .060 gets you to ~357 cubic inches.
To go bigger you need a longer stroke crankshaft, matching connecting rods, and pistons.
That's. What I have right now 357.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
wow, you've been a member since 2002 and haven't learned to search for this kind of stuff?

How much money are you looking at spending? That will give us an idea of how much power you could make. cwm1

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I been a member but had been away for a while and was putting money into one of my other cars as my bbody was fixed up already. Then I wrecked it so now I'm getting back to messing with it. My budget will be spent entirely on parts as I have a cuz who owns a performance shop who will do my work. At onetime he had the sec fastest body in America at least according to gm high performance. So I'm looking to spend about 8k

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
How expensive to get to those kinda numbers just a rough estimate
Depends on what you already have on the car......but $10K to $15K (parts/labor) is a good start for a budget.

I was wondering what kinda numbers would I get if I bore it to a 396 an put a supercharger on it.
If you're gonna do a supercharger.....do a 383ci. Engine reliability is one of the main reasons for this.

......My budget will be spent entirely on parts as I have a cuz who owns a performance shop who will do my work......I'm looking to spend about 8k
Stick with the stroker (no supercharger) build ;) .......

KW

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts