Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! well as u may know i have been out of the FI game for quite some time now! so ill give you the rundown and i know you guys have tonnnns of knowledge on this so all is appreciated. Pn's and stuff of that sort.

So my buddy locally in Chicago has just bought my .030 over LT1 block, with a set of hyper .030 pistons on stock rods with a stock crank. He will have it all setup and put together by a local shop. He also bought my posi setup and 3.73 gear that he will also be having setup by a shop and my old built 4L60e gone through and made good again. Now i recommended he go with a 3000-3200 stall converter from BDR (price is great and supported my 600hp so thats who hes goin with).

He is getting a set of LE1 heads and a custom cam. Dont think hes getting an intake but i recommended he do (why not?). So i told him to try and keep as much stuff as he can on his stock motor and he going to keep his stock trans so he has some backups because as i know...everything eventually goes wrong ha.

Otherwise his car is completely stock. So keeping in mind this will be a nice stout daily driver setup so what would you guys recommend that he do as far as fuel setups? (part numbers would be appreciated also :) should he bump up on injectors, the fuel pump, anything with the rails etc etc.

Should he change out sensors, tb, what kind of timing chain etc.

Im basically just looking for some nice good quick info to get in a good direction from alot of people that have done these setups b4. If it were up to me i would tell him to hand me his credit card and ill make his car fast haha. But i know that with these setups its all about the combination. So rear end and trans wise we have that handled and the foundation set for the motor but id imagine the possibilitys are endless... thanks alot guys

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
An intake upgrade is absolutely necessary to compliment the heads and cam. I would suggest the GMPP LT1 carb intake converted over to efi with billet rails, 4 barrel throttle body and a Racetronix fuel pump. Send the intake to LE for port matching. Don't forget the 1.6 roller rockers and upgraded pushrods.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that intake conversion is a tad bit overkill for what hes doing. But i told him to have them port his intake.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Well I only suggested it becuz GM rates that intake at 30lbft more torque over the stock intake str8 out the box so just imagine the benefits with some LE port work. And also we all know how small upgrades lead to a constant hunger for more power, I'm only trying to help. Btw, this is the guy who bought your cut springs a year ago.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
An intake upgrade is absolutely necessary to compliment the heads and cam........
No.....it's not.

Well I only suggested it becuz GM rates that intake at 30lbft more torque over the stock intake......
Don't.....Don't, Don't,
Don't Believe The Hype!
(Public Enemy, 1987)

......So keeping in mind this will be a nice stout daily driver setup so what would you guys recommend that he do as far as fuel setups.....
52mm TB would be beneficial.....but not 'required'.
30LB injectors would be beneficial (w/52mm TB) but not otherwise 'required'.
No benefit from a High-Performance fule pump......unless the stocker is on it's way out.
I'd address the exhaust system.......if it hasn't already been done!

KW

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the lt1 carbed intake on my 383 so i know what kind of power it makes with a quickfuel 750. But converting to efi that i wouldnt know. And man i was wondering what happend to you...you have some nice toys in your sig.

And KW i know he has headers but i hope his ass didnt stick with the stock exhaust. Smh. I just dropped off the parts last night and quickly talked to the guy. So hes basically willing to do whatever. And with 90,000 miles on car a $200 insurance policy for a fuel pump seems elemantary to me. But i havent had a fi anything in my car for 4 years so i dont know what that crap can or cant do so im sure you'd know more

·
Registered
903 Posts
Car has flowmasters now... Thanks for all input

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
lol im sorry but i must agree...i wouldnt put flowmasters on my sons tonka truck...Spintech FTW!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yeah, came with the SS when I bought it. What u guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
ANYTHING but flowmasters....they are some of the worst flowing mufflers ever made.
I love my spintech super pro streets

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he went with spintechs....ohhhh baby

·
Registered
903 Posts
Super Pro Streets on the way... Pending parts, Friday.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
So are my Pypes Race pros junk too??

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I had the lt1 carbed intake on my 383 so i know what kind of power it makes with a quickfuel 750. But converting to efi that i wouldnt know. And man i was wondering what happend to you...you have some nice toys in your sig.

And KW i know he has headers but i hope his ass didnt stick with the stock exhaust. Smh. I just dropped off the parts last night and quickly talked to the guy. So hes basically willing to do whatever. And with 90,000 miles on car a $200 insurance policy for a fuel pump seems elemantary to me. But i havent had a fi anything in my car for 4 years so i dont know what that crap can or cant do so im sure you'd know more
Sorry for the late response but thanks for the compliments. Man I've been around here on the board but I've had 4 knee surgeries within the past 3 weeks so... A friend of mine did the intake swap along with the ls harness and PCM. It made me wish I'd given the lt1 another chance before going complete ls swap. But I still got my lt1 just in case I find a decent shell. Sorry for the threadjack fellas.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
......but I've had 4 knee surgeries within the past 3 weeks so......
Dude.....4 knee surgeries :eek: ?

Unless you're a dog or a cat, you only have 2 knees.....right :confused: ?

Oh well......GWS!

KW

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
4 surgeries on my left knee and thanx for the gws'!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Update

Alright, finally have somewhat of an update. I just received the LE1 kit (heads & cam), lunati lifters, Pro Magnum Rocker Arms, 30lb injectors, and I'm picking up a stage 3 ported intake locally maybe tomorrow. Due to budget restrictions, I'm thinking of updating top end of my stock block for now while I get enough cash flow to work the 355 bare block... As I don't want the car to be out of commission for a long time. Any suggestions in terms what's the best way to go about setting up this build are appreciated. For now I have Ian's old 3.73 gears that need to be installed along with bunch of other parts, stock trans, and stock motor. I have a bunch over performance upgrades such as a March pulley kit, RAISS intake, 52mm BBK TB, Supercomp ceramic hooker headers, spintechs (still have to buy universal x-pipe kit, tune-up parts, etc.. I'm waiting on car to come back from paint and want to have an idea of what to address first and go from there...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im ready when u are. I talked to my rear end guy. Lookn at 2 day turnaround.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Im ready when u are. I talked to my rear end guy. Lookn at 2 day turnaround.
WOW :eek: !

You have a guy working your rear for two solid days?!?!?!?!?

I gotta hand it to ya......you sure can take a pounding cwm2 !

KW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts