Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I bought this motor from here (member from the forum) last year and it's still on sitting in the garage. I've been procrastinating on putting the motor on the car just yet.

Here is what I have:

Forged pistons, stock crank and rods. Arp everything and 4 bolt main. 11:5 to 1 compression with 55cc heads.

LE2.5 heads with patriot gold valve springs

Ported lt1 intake with egr block off plates

Lt4 timing set

Hydraulic roller cam billet- 233/241 .600/.600 on 112lsa

Crane gold race roller rocker arms 1.6 on a 3/8 stud.

48lb racetronix injectors

Here is my question, should I be ok with the stock crank that the motor has or should I put a forged crank for having some peace of mind? I do plan on putting some n2o on the car. Probably a 100 or 150 shot. I was looking on the golden engines website and a scat 9000 crank is under $300.

Opinions?

thanks

Original sale thread : http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=272072

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
If it has a stock crank, that would be the least of your worries. Stock cranks have been running fine in 600-700 hp LT1's.
That thread you linked: first he says stock crank, then 3 days later he says Scat forged crank. Frankly, I wouldn't trust anything in it after reading that thread!
Don't even think about putting a $300 crank in it! ......that would be cast and a downgrade from a stock crank. Hopefully, they resized the stock rods when they put the ARP bolts in them. If not, they'll probably fail sooner than a stock GM build would.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That thread you linked: first he says stock crank, then 3 days later he says Scat forged crank. Frankly, I wouldn't trust anything in it after reading that thread!
The 355 LT1 has the stock crank and rods, the one with the forged crank is a 388ci motor.

He's selling 2 motors.

"388 LT4 short block
This is a true GM lt4 short block. IT has been bored 60 over and has a Scat forged Crank that has been polished and turned .010
Manley Forged H beam rods with arp hardware
This setup had 9k miles on it and then I tore it down 2 years ago and literally just brought the engine to Clayton Racing to check everything over and clean everything. HE says there are 0 issues with anything. YOu will need to have all bearings installed and get a set of your choice pistons installed. Then you will have yourself a 388 LTx block."

and

"355 lt4 shortblock
Forged pistons, stock crank and rods. Arp everything and 4 bolt main. 11:5 to 1 compression with 55cc heads. Like new still with just over 5k miles.
$1200 picked up"

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The seller was selling two motors. One a 388 with no pistons and the 355 ready to go. I bought the 355 since it had the LE heads and cam already in it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't see any problem using the stock crank and rods since you have forged pistons. The stock crank and pm rods are good to at least 500hp or more. With that said if you plan on hitting this motor with nitrous all the time instead of every once in a while, a forged crank and rods might be a wise upgrade.

Btw, love the 87 GN. I have always wanted one of those cars! How fast is yours?

Steve

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad to hear the motor will be fine with an occasional spray of nos.

As far as the GN I don't know what it runs. I've never been to the track with it. I bought it as a project car. It runs but not as good as it should. Don't get me wrong it's fast as heck but it's either getting too much fuel at wot or not enough. I have some work to soon it. It's either a low 12 second or high 11 second car. Here's what it has:

Precision turbo
Meade stretched inter cooler
42.5 injectors
Terry Houston down pipe
3" intake
Ls1 maf/ translator
Postoon headers
255 walbro fuel pump / wiring harness
Adjustable waste gate
18 psi on turbo tweak chip
Jimmy's Trans with 3700 stall

It's a really fun car. Sorry to say but it's a lot more fun than the impala, just half as comfortable. It's too much for daily driving :)

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.