Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to put 373 gears in rearend. Can i just get the ring and pinion. Or should i just get the whole kit . ????9

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was looking to put 373 gears in rearend. Can i just get the ring and pinion. Or should i just get the whole kit . ????9

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
You want a gear set that is compatible with a reluctor gear for ABS...and you will need a new recluctor gear for 3:73 ratio

by "whole kit", if you mean a bearing kit aka "master install kit" than yes. If you have never installed a gear set have it done at a good drive line shop.

If your drive shaft is stock you will likely start to have a vibration and most people get a new dive shaft from Dennys, Inland Empire, etc.

You will also need to get the PCM reprogrammed so speedo reads right

I have Motive gears in my SS and Camaro

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
When you go to 3:73 gears or higher you will most likely feel a driveshaft vibration at speeds above 80 mph. In the past, most owners have changed to an aluminum driveshaft when changing gears.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
To answer your question: it is possible to simply do the gears if you have 2.73s or lower (higher numerically). You'd need at least a crush sleeve. But... I'd suggest a mini install kit as a minimum.

To counter toby's point: I have 4.10s, with a T56, and a stock shaft. For almost 20 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you go to 3:73 gears or higher you will most likely feel a driveshaft vibration at speeds above 80 mph. In the past, most owners have changed to an aluminum driveshaft when changing gears.
Thanks for the tip. I was gonna have to change out drive shaft anyway become i went with upper and lower EXTENDED control arms. Only 3/4 inch tho. Im trying to get the pinion angel right. I probably should of gotten the adjustables upper arms instead of just the extended uppers. Guess time will tell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your question: it is possible to simply do the gears if you have 2.73s or lower (higher numerically). You'd need at least a crush sleeve. But... I'd suggest a mini install kit as a minimum.

To counter toby's point: I have 4.10s, with a T56, and a stock shaft. For almost 20 years.
Yeah im not to worried about the vibration i wont hear it over the ,cam,headers, and exhaust anyway. Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You want a gear set that is compatible with a reluctor gear for ABS...and you will need a new recluctor gear for 3:73 ratio

by "whole kit", if you mean a bearing kit aka "master install kit" than yes. If you have never installed a gear set have it done at a good drive line shop.

If your drive shaft is stock you will likely start to have a vibration and most people get a new dive shaft from Dennys, Inland Empire, etc.

You will also need to get the PCM reprogrammed so speedo reads right

I have Motive gears in my SS and Camaro
Yeah its getting programmed as we speak. And yes i have decided to go with THE KIT.more money but probably better off in the long run.. i looked at the motive gear kit and the Richmond lookin at about 540$

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
When I did the 3.73 installed, replaced all bearings. Had extended arms and aluminum ds, the car started to develop a vibration at about 115.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts