Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a copy of my 383 stroker build sheet. Please chime in and advise on what you think. Need guidance / recommendations ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
From what I can see, (and I don't know your goals or budget):
1. Compression is too low, even for iron heads. (unless you are doing FI?) Stock iron headed LT1 is 10:1 - what kind of head machining are you having don't to the heads?
2. No mention of springs? Upgrade from OEM if it is in your budget.
3. OEM rocker arms? Upgrade to roller rockers if it is in your budget.
4. Seems like a small cam for a stroker.
5. Assuming your heads will remain stockish, I think 390/405 is a high estimate, and those numbers will certainly be at the flywheel, not at the rear wheels.
6. For the same money you will likely spend on stroking the motor, you could leave it at 350ci, put the same money into the top end and get 50-100 more horsepower.

If you haven't committed, I would go back to the drawing board before writing the check. Just MO. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Attached is a copy of my 383 stroker build sheet. Please chime in and advise on what you think. Need guidance / recommendations ?

Everything except the bore and cubic inches is ... how can i say... not optimised for horsepower.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
It would be a good engine ... for a truck.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Why in the hell are they putting in a 2 piece rear main crank in it?!! that is if I am reading build sheet right. Curious of what they are charging you for that as well. If it is high you would be better off looking elsewhere, just an opinion. What everyone else said though, like BigBuh said 390/405 is VERY high would be at the crank in optimum air and all that. I don't know much about building a motor, but the little I do know, that isn't an optimum build. Sorry

·
Registered
4,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
......Please chime in and advise on what you think......
Um.....you haven't payed these guys any mony yet......have you?

Seems to me that this engine was spec'ed more along the lines of a flat tappet cammed, Gen-1 Chevy Small Block (FLT) :( .

Rather than have them make this underpowered stroker, you'd be just as well off if you had them rebuild your 350 and stick a fresh set of valve springs on your heads.

KW

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What if I were to port the heads, change pistons, change cam ?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
What if I were to port the heads, change pistons, change cam ?
Huh.....yeah.........that's what we're getting at.

Better yet, rather that having the iron heads ported, get a set of aluminum heads ported, have the block zero decked, optimize your quench (.035") and then have a cam spec'ed to optimize dynamic compression.

Your engine builder should know how to do this........if not, find a new engine builder.

KW

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh.....yeah.........that's what we're getting at.

Better yet, rather that having the iron heads ported, get a set of aluminum heads ported, have the block zero decked, optimize your quench (.035") and then have a cam spec'ed to optimize dynamic compression.

Your engine builder should know how to do this........if not, find a new engine builder.

KW
That would be nice, however, problem is that I already have this motor, don't have very much more money, so have to work with what I have.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
That would be nice, however, problem is that I already have this motor, don't have very much more money, so have to work with what I have.
OK.....so you asked for advice.....AFTER you payed for the work :( ?

Well......not much you're gonna be able to do with the motor that's not gonna cost some bucks.

That being said.....if you keep the current heads, lose the current cam and get yourself the Comp Cams #501....it's the cam that's 3rd from the bottom in the link.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/198-199.asp

And get some 1.6 roller rockers, too.

If you REALLY want to improve the set-up, get yourself a set of LE2 heads with their small custom cam and use the stock Impala SS head gaskets.

http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html

Otherwise.....you can install the engine as is; it's still an improvement over stock.

KW

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paid $1,950 about a year ago, got everything else together now (finally), pro built 4l60e, 2,800 stall TQ, SLP headers. Now that I'm about to throw it in, I decided to look for a tuner, found Protools4, told him what I have to work with so he can tune it after all I installed, and being the experienced veteran he is, he was able to point out all of the flaws involved with this motor . Thank goodness he did ! Now, I have to TRY and make any improvements that I can , but on a budget ?!

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Assuming the shortblock is already assembled, get these head gaskets and use your present ones as templates to open the LT1-specific coolant holes:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FPP-1094
They will at least improve your dismal quench/CR situation.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
A christmas song just came to mind...
"Deck the heads and skinny gaskets fa la la la la... la laaa la la.
THAT will get you more compression fa la la la la... (you get the idea)...":D

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
My vote was to sell the motor on craigslist for cash
put the money twards pro head porting /cam and gaskets
then heads / cam / re-gasket the stock 350 still in the car :D

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not.....a.....bad.....idea.....at.....all ;) !

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
My vote was to sell the motor on craigslist for cash
put the mony twards pro head porting /cam and gaskets
then heads / cam / re-gasket the stock 350 still in the car :D

Good call. You can easily make your money back on the stroker on Craigslist.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts