Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get a LT4 knock sensor ? Getting all the little stuff out of the way before the Stroker transplant. Is there anything else recommended to get, like F-Body MAF, EGR, 160 thermostat, etc, etc. Please give any recommendations as I want to get this all underway ASAP so I can put it all on the motor while its out . Thanx y'all !!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
736 Posts
Where can I get a LT4 knock sensor ?
The knock sensors are in the engine block and there isn't one specific to the LT4 so I will assume you are talking about the module that goes into the bottom of the PCM. That module is on the discontinued parts list but RMS is showing limited availability. I would call and ask if they have it.

http://rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=216-67

You should talk to the person that will be building the engine and than person that will be programing the PCM to see what they are wanting you to place on the engine to make it work. For instance, a bigger cam with more overlap would most likely result in the EGR system needing to be disabled all together so no need for an F-body EGR valve.

Thermostat settings, type of fuel injectors, throttle body size, exhaust manifolds, torque converter stall and rear gearing along with tire size all help the programmer get your tune dailed in, but ask them their thoughts about this topic since they have to deal with what is chosen, and if you pick items they have no experience with you will increase the trouble they have to deal with to getting it all working.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The knock sensors are in the engine block and there isn't one specific to the LT4 so I will assume you are talking about the module that goes into the bottom of the PCM. That module is on the discontinued parts list but RMS is showing limited availability. I would call and ask if they have it.

http://rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=216-67

You should talk to the person that will be building the engine and than person that will be programing the PCM to see what they are wanting you to place on the engine to make it work. For instance, a bigger cam with more overlap would most likely result in the EGR system needing to be disabled all together so no need for an F-body EGR valve.

Thermostat settings, type of fuel injectors, throttle body size, exhaust manifolds, torque converter stall and rear gearing along with tire size all help the programmer get your tune dailed in, but ask them their thoughts about this topic since they have to deal with what is chosen, and if you pick items they have no experience with you will increase the trouble they have to deal with to getting it all working.
383 is finished.... 395 HP and 410 ft/lbs of Torque, custom mild cam, stock throttle body (for now), Pro built 4L60E w/ 2,600 stall custom built TC. Gonna pick up a set of Edelbrock Headers very soon. That's about it for now other than the fuel setup mentioned earlier. If there is anything else recommended to get now while the motor is sitting pretty on a stand (fully assembled), please don't hesitate.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
summit has the module you seek.
What performance gains ( if any ) will I notice ? What are the benefits of upgrading to this module ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIRC the module will keep the PCM from pulling timing from false i.e. roller rocker chatter. The module just doesn't listen as close if that makes sense, there is one for sale in the for sale section that I saw tonight.
I don't have the roller rockers as of yet, so I probably won't need the LT4 knock module just yet .

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
383 is finished.... 395 HP and 410 ft/lbs of Torque, custom mild cam, stock throttle body (for now), Pro built 4L60E w/ 2,600 stall custom built TC. Gonna pick up a set of Edelbrock Headers very soon. That's about it for now other than the fuel setup mentioned earlier. If there is anything else recommended to get now while the motor is sitting pretty on a stand (fully assembled), please don't hesitate.
Do you have to go with the Edelbrock shorty headers in CA for CARB reasons? They're going to choke off a lot of the 395HP & 410TQ
that you would keep with some 1 3/4" long tubes or even 1 5/8" tri ys.

58mm TB would help also as long as you have the intake TB opening bored out to 58mm.

Why did you go with a 2600 stall TC? A Yank SS 3600 would be perfect.

You have an F body MAF? You need it.

You can have all of the EGR stuff removed and programmed out since I assume you have a bigger duration cam. Then again
you may need it for CARB reasons.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Do you have to go with the Edelbrock shorty headers in CA for CARB reasons? They're going to choke off a lot of the 395HP & 410TQ
that you would keep with some 1 3/4" long tubes or even 1 5/8" tri ys.

58mm TB would help also as long as you have the intake TB opening bored out to 58mm.

Why did you go with a 2600 stall TC? A Yank SS 3600 would be perfect.

You have an F body MAF? You need it.

You can have all of the EGR stuff removed and programmed out since I assume you have a bigger duration cam. Then again
you may need it for CARB reasons.
I went with the 2,600 stall based upon my cam profile. I was told by my engine builder, my Transmission builder, and the shop that built my TC, to go with the 2,600 stall . They all based the stall upon my cam profile (specs). And yes, unfortunately, I have to worry about smog regarding the EGR. What year / model should I look for regarding the MAF ? I am going with Edelbrock because I can't afford $700-1,200 for headers ! Besides, I have a few friends that work at Edelbrock and can get them at employee cost ($399).

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the LT4 knock sensor. I have roller rockers with a CC503 cam and my tuner said I didn't have to have that installed. I dont get any codes from the chatter.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the LT4 knock sensor. I have roller rockers with a CC503 cam and my tuner said I didn't have to have that installed. I dont get any codes from the chatter.
You wouldn't get any codes from the rocker noise it would just pull timing, as the PCM would think that it is getting excessive knock.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
You wouldn't get any codes from the rocker noise it would just pull timing, as the PCM would think that it is getting excessive knock.
Yes that is correct. Its all coming back to me now, Thank you!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what model / year should I get the MAF from ? Is there anything else I need along with it ? Harness, boot, etc. There is a GM Salvage yard by my house .

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
93-97 F body IIRC, get the elbow from the intake to the intake tube that should be it that is if you are using the factory or there abouts location for the air filter, if not get one off a vette maybe 93-96 then you can come straight out of the intake to the vette boot, then the MAF then the filter, plug and play, but your tuner will have to change the tables within the PCM for the Grams/sec numbers for the MAF.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts