Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a local skull happy Charger driving forum member recently, who bestowed this on me. I think the block is done, but I could probablly save the crank and 5-6 rods pistons. whadda ya think? worth it? It wont turn freely cause of a con rod problem. Pix to follow.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I managed to extract 2-5-6-8. 7 is ready to drop but I need to get the crank turned about 40-50 deg.

note that the con rod is bent, and there piece of a broken rod below it. this is what is preventing the crank from spinning freely. This is on 3/4 cyl. also u can see there is a chunk of metal missing on the cam tunnel there, thats why idk if the block should be reused.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
More pix:

Above pix: Reason: #1 cyl. Cant get the rod/ piston till I get the nut removed.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

other side of damaged rod..

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK yall seen it, now discuss.

· Registered
2,505 Posts
Discuss what? LOL
Get it rebuilt!

-Nab

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-Same block or Find another donor?

· Registered
385 Posts
Unless you have a bunch of money wrapped into that block (machining, splayed mains... etc) you might as well get another block and start from scratch. There is a piece broken from the casting so if you ever want to push the limits, why not avoid the worry about it holding together. Blocks have to be available in your area for next to nothing.

Good luck!
TOM B

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a stock bare block in my living room ready to go. Mains on this block are splayed 4 bolt. Ill have it checked, but prob will use another block - ill reuse the crank and whatever rods / pistons can be salvaged

· Registered
440 Posts
Why waste your money getting that one checked?

It's junk.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dually noted. Still have to extract #1 / 7 pistons, cam, and crank. ARP main bolts too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.