Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my engine completely rebuilt to a 383 stroker and although it's not done yet, I was wondering... My pcm is being replaced with a 411 Corvette computer. My car only has about 70,500(+/-)miles on it and the odometer on my cluster has faded to black. Will having a new PCM and replacing the cluster, affect the odometer reading?

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
a very common fix for fading/none odometer is to just re-heat, carefully, the solder on the diode connections to circuit board

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
I've read the long thread on the fix (includes the guy selling the remote resister pack...) and your hint is included. Question: does ages of oxidation call for a dab of flux during the re-heat, or not necessary?

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I didn't use any flux but don't see why you couldn't

I bought the kit many years ago from NAISO before I pulled my cluster. When I did see the connections for the 3 resistors I could see the solder joints had cracked, more like a cold solder joint. I just reheated each to "re-melt" the existing solder and for me that worked and my odometer has been fine since

If the resistors themselves are bad than yeah you would need to replace them or do the "kit" fix

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
What are the specs on the 383? Not that it has anything to do with the cluster, just curious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts