Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building my 383. For now, I am going to run my Hotcam in it due to the amount of money already spent. I know there is a better cam out there for my set up.....Lt1 ported aluminum heads(10.8:1 comp. ratio), full exhaust, 3:73 gears, 2400 stall, etc.....what do you guys suggest?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mike TexaSS has a Hotcam in a 409 CU and does qutie well, especially with the nitrous. I would consider something bigger. I'm sure guys with 383's will chime in. Maybe that 306 or a custom grind. If you already spent big$$ on your engine why get frugal on getting a cam that'll make you happy? Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dawson,

Look at the sig below. My cam is the smallest (duration wise) I would go with for a stroker. I'm gonna take it out and install it in my Caprice (383ci) with 1.5" RRs. Lift will be .567 int. and .584 exh.

LSA in the 111 to 114 range will be fine....but actual spec will depends on what your ultimate goals are.

NOTE: This cam delivered my 12.58....

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I build up my stroker some decade I'll probably go with a 224/230 grind too. It seems to be a good compromise between performance and driveability.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Spartus:
When I build up my stroker some decade I'll probably go with a 224/230 grind too. It seems to be a good compromise between performance and driveability.
Tom,

Don't know if you're looking for all out performance when you stroke-it....but I get 22mpg with this cam and an on-the-dyno tune. I think that's in large part due to the 114* LSA.

And it drives SOOOO sweet. That's why it's going in the Caprice ;) . Still, there are many other cams will provide more raw power....but at what cost
???

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running a 227/233 myself... was originally going to go 230/236 but then this grind became available and DD showed about 20 -more- hp/tq up to 6000 rpms with it than the larger one... give it's a street car that seemed the way to go. Barely broken in (1000 miles), with 7 degrees of burst retard (need to get that tuned out) and no dyno tuning at all it still trapped just shy of 108 (the time in my sig is my best ET, not my best trap speed).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.