Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions matter. What stall speed would one go with, having a 383 with a CC 503, using 4:10 gears.
Heads would be mildly poted and polished with 2.00" intake and 1.55" exhaust.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,353 Posts
Opinions matter. What stall speed would one go with, having a 383 with a CC 503, using 4:10 gears.
Heads would be mildly poted and polished with 2.00" intake and 1.55" exhaust.
Pretty much the same set-up that I've driven for 100K miles in my 9C1;
High lift 503 cam;
Stock LT4 heads/intake;
52mm TB;
3.73 gears;
About half of those 100K miles with a 2400 stall SLP TC and half with a Yank 3000 stall TC.

I'd go with a Yank 3000 stall TC again......and definately no higher than their 3600 stall.

Really depends on how much track time the car will see.....but for a daily/occasional drivar that will rarely see the track, I would go with the 3000 stall ;) .

FWIW.

KW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Pretty much the same set-up that I've driven for 100K miles in my 9C1;
High lift 503 cam;
Stock LT4 heads/intake;
52mm TB;
3.73 gears;
About half of those 100K miles with a 2400 stall SLP TC and half with a Yank 3000 stall TC.

I'd go with a Yank 3000 stall TC again......and definately no higher than their 3600 stall.

Really depends on how much track time the car will see.....but for a daily/occasional drivar that will rarely see the track, I would go with the 3000 stall ;) .

FWIW.

KW
what your power numbers looking like in that car?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,353 Posts
what your power numbers looking like in that car?
I never cared to get it dyno'ed (nor did I race it) because I had an idea what the car was capable of.....but I'm thinking that it was good for about 340HP to 350HP at the wheels.

All the important parts were hand-me-downs to the Caprice from my Impala.

BUT.....when those parts were on my Impala, it dyno'ed to about 370 HP at the wheels and ran 12.5's to 12.8's in the quarter in decent weather.

Item of note.....the SS had AFR 210cc heads with 1.6 rockers and the 9C1 had stock LT4 heads with 1.5 rockers

KW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let say that the car will be used on the track 90% of the time. The other 10% might be the odd Sunday drive. Would you go any higher than 3500?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
I never cared to get it dyno'ed (nor did I race it) because I had an idea what the car was capable of.....but I'm thinking that it was good for about 340HP to 350HP at the wheels.
ok cool, thats all im expecting from my setup once i get it cranked up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,353 Posts
Let say that the car will be used on the track 90% of the time. The other 10% might be the odd Sunday drive. Would you go any higher than 3500?
I wouldn't, because I can't see having any car that I wouldn't like having as a daily driver.....and I know that I wouldn't want to drive a car with more than 3600 stall.

Also......more than 4000 stall with the engine/gears set-up that you propose is arguably a bit much.

But my preferances are likely a hell-of-a-lot different from yours.....and your projected use of your car is a hell-of-a-lot different from how I used my car.

KW
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,454 Posts
Part 2 of my sig.

Go with the Yank 3600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,913 Posts
If your spraying the car, evaluate your comrepssion carefully. With race gas, you can run higher compression than you think, and you won't need as much ignition timing. Its a pumping effficiency thing. Going up as high as 12:1 and still run nitrous can be done successfully. Its in the tuning.

Chris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
I run a 4000 stall on my 409, making 420+ at the wheels. It's not a DD, but it drives easily on the street.:) I also run a big Griffin radiator. I have 3.73 gears, and it hits hard.:D

My car is mostly track, with an occasional cruise, but I'm not afraid to drive it anywhere, mostly.:p

My stall is a custom build, by the same people who built my tranny, Phoenix Transmissions, out of Weatherford, TX.

I wouldn't spray it though, with that much stall. HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Let say that the car will be used on the track 90% of the time. The other 10% might be the odd Sunday drive. Would you go any higher than 3500?
With that being said, Go with the Yank SS3600!

I have this stall in my Impala with stock 3.08's and its a lil sluggish as a daily driver but when I stab the gas she goes! Everyone I talk to in relation to the slipping at part throttle say that 3.73's or 4.10's will help alot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,564 Posts
I run the CC503 with a 110LSA in my 383. The Yank SS3600 was perfect for a daily driver but opted for a SS4000. With good tuning the 4000 is looser but tolerable. I'm still running 3.73's with a 28" drag radial at the strip with good results.

End result...more strip time SS4000. Street car....SS3600.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
My old set-up was a 385, with the 503, and a 3800 stall. I drove it to the track, drove it all over the place, including 300+ miles to race at Norman, OK.

It worked great on the street and strip, until I dropped a valve on the return road.:p

My buddy has my old set-up, I mean completely,:) in his Impala. My old block punched 60 over, my old heads, repaired, and his 503 cam. He runs a 3600 stall, from the same transmission shop I use.

His car is very streetable, with 3.73's, and has gone 12.02.

I like stall, and I like it alot!:D

My personal opinion is, run as much stall as you can stand, street or strip, any engine.cwm1

Stall makes it happen, at least, NA.cwm7
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,564 Posts
My SS4000 is to steep for the street with the 3.73's. I can usually drive it around for about a week then go back to the wagon for a while. 4.10's or even 4.30's would be a better match for the SS4000 around town.

Eric
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top