Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why a 399 ci LT1 you ask? No real good answer to that one except that if you are getting a Callies Magnum crank then it comes in any stroke and any rod/main journal size that you want. So I decided to build a 396(395) with .030" more stroke on slightly decked block. This will be my "signature" ERE (who here never wanted a signature engine named after their racing number? tell me.) :)
Follow along:
http://www.ellweinengines.com/ERE399/ERE399.htm

1st person to notice "something" about the crankshaft (other than the counterweights and 1.888" rod journals), wins a Pale Ale.

Karl

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
The crank has a big block snout?

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
He from Tennsee. They pronounce it differnt. An don't mess wit'im. We don't know his MOS. ::grindy teeth::

BTW, pretty build.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
wish I came, but my moneys short cant afford to leave my driveway let along a 2hr drive. LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Keith nailed it on the nose, (so to speak). Yes a BBC nose. (and 1/4" key 180* from the normal key).
That was a mistake actually. The motor will not see a blower. I've purchased a few of these Magnum XL cranks from Callies and possibly they just overwrite my order history with the new spec and left BBC nose on there. I probably did not specifically specify a SBC nose.

During the garage party today I mocked up a rod/piston and everything fits wonderfully, (thank God). The piston is a bit out of the hole but that's ok.
Photos later....

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
unofficially it's .008" out.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Why a 399 ci LT1 you ask? No real good answer to that one except that if you are getting a Callies Magnum crank then it comes in any stroke and any rod/main journal size that you want. So I decided to build a 396(395) with .030" more stroke on slightly decked block. This will be my "signature" ERE (who here never wanted a signature engine named after their racing number? tell me.) :)
Follow along:
http://www.ellweinengines.com/ERE399/ERE399.htm

1st person to notice "something" about the crankshaft (other than the counterweights and 1.888" rod journals), wins a Pale Ale.

Karl
Actually there are several advantages
DECK remained Stock height
Avoid Head and Intake Fitment issues
Little more Compression
Longer Rod

Dan

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
got any more pic's of the oil pan?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That build is SICK!

I love the parts selection... looks like it's going to be able to handle a couple HP over stock cwm7

What is the expected power level and RPM range?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Karl, what head gaskets are you going to use? It sounds like Fel Pros .039" would be on the dangerous side.
On the head gasket issue, what kind of quench numbers are you shooting for?

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the head gasket will be either a custom thickness Cometic to shoot for .035" quench or a GM LT4 which is I think .042" thick. This pistons are thicker than they need to be and with a strong-sturdy skirt, but that means lots of nitrous can be used if the owner desires....(he has no plans for that yet).
I have the timing gear ordered but I still need to order the custom ATI parts that fit the BBC nose. (Cloyes makes a BBC crank sprocket for a SBC double roller set).
Karl

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got any more pic's of the oil pan?
I'll try to get some photos soon. It's quite elaborate inside the pan. BF pans can be had with a steel ball trap door system and this pan has that.

Karl

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And that is one of the "secrets" that engine builders usually keep to themselves. Most likely .035" anyways. I'd guess around 570hp at 6,000 and almost 510 lb/ft at 3500
That is exactly what we are hoping for, give or take. The cam is Ai custom and the owner want's it to be somewhat streetable. Really we just need a super good tune up and that will make us happy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts