Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using this product to hold the door panels rather than the plastic "Christmas Trees"? I have to remove door panels to replace window rollers and front speakers in one of the cars. Always destroy something attempting to make the fasteners release.

Supposedly good for 1000 fasten/remove cycles. There is also an adhesive primer/surface cleaner to insure best adhesion.

SJ3560 3M™ Clear Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fastener
• 250 stems per square inch (Type 250) • Indoor/Outdoor, high temp and humidity
• Clear stems with clear VHB adhesive • Engaged Thickness: 0.23"

Mates to Type 250, Type 170 & Type 400

Here is a web link for 3M: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/.../Catalog/Detail/?nid=C2M4LMQLVBbeJNLB2JSBSGgl

Source link: http://www.itapestore.com/3mdualloc..._medium=Paid&utm_campaign=bingDualLock#sj3560

After reading the specs, it seems to me the 250 post version should work best with its high temp and humidity adhesive. I seem to remember this being discussed for the door panel application.

Hard to find in small quantities and not cheap but sure would be convenient.

Thoughts?

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Haven't tried it in a car, but FWIW it is used in business class jets all the time to hold sidewalls in place and such, same product they just call it bionic velcro and when it is stuck together it is stuck together. Just make sure you clean the surface really well and you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Issues?

Mike,

Are you saying I should or should not have issues? The last sentence is a bit confusing...

What I've not been able to determine is which pin count is the strongest, the 170, 250, or 400 per inch and if the size of the pin differs. Seems it should.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
362 Posts
Haven't tried it in a car, but FWIW it is used in business class jets all the time to hold sidewalls in place and such, same product they just call it bionic velcro and when it is stuck together it is stuck together. Just make sure you clean the surface really well and you should have any issues.
Shouldn't

Mike used to work where I work and he's right, this stuff works great, just make sure that the surfaces that you are going to stick it to is absolutely clean because we see where the two halves togeather are stronger than the bond to the peices that are to be joined.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts