Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of mileage does 4.3L engine get in highway-only driving (easy)?

Was it ever available on '91-93 station wagons?

I am satisfied with my 5.7L but would be interesting to know.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've never really took the actual milage on either my L99 or LT1, but I can tell you one thing. When you have an LT1, you are alot more likely to floor it off the line, and hold it at WOT for alot longer. But the L99 needs to work alot harder to get the car moving.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
L99 w/ 2.73 gears = low- to mid-20's highway.

Personal experience. ;)

Eric

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 94 L99 W/2.73 that got 26-29 on the open road. Pre 94 used a different set up on the small blocks and I don't think they came near the mileage and performance of the 94-96 motors. I use to run from Michigan to Colorado a few times a year. When it came to the open road it was awesome.
I don't believe it was ever offered in the 94-96 Wagons.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah 94-96 Caprice sedans were the only vehicle to have it as an option. I could get mid twenties with the air on and a full load(camping crap), when I first got it, even hit a high of 30mpg but that was with slick roads and an unusually light foot. Then a couple manifold bolts broke and milage dropped to a low of 19-21, even with a heavy foot. That was with 2.93 gears. The L99 does have to work much harder to move the car, so it is nowhere near the milage monster you would expect, many an LT1 powered car will clip off mid twenties when driven conservatively.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my neighbor has a '96 L99 caprice and the best he's got was 29 on highway

the guys like 70 something....the car is beyond mint be an awesome one to get and swap in an LT1

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on my 96 before i got rear ended, about 3 weeks ago, i got on my car about 30-32 mpg, i used drive a lot to n.y., fomr norfolk, one time i took a trip for 650 miles in one full tank, i had a 25 gallon tank we have talk about this a while back, an i have seen a 95 wagon with 4.3

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get 26 mpg all highway in my '96 L99.
Tested it last year on an 800 mile road trip.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's excellent mileage. For my purposes, probably works better than the bigger 5.7L I have now. If I get another Caprice, that's what it will have in it.

I am not into performance, but frugal driving.

For now I will just drive the 5.7L which is another great engine.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>... excellent mileage ... For my purposes, probably works better than the bigger 5.7L ... If I get another Caprice, that's what it will have ... I am ... into ... frugal driving.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If your engine is an LT1, then why don't you see how much mpg can be wrung out of it?
28" or even taller tires
Less aggressive gears (2.93 or numerically lower)
PCM for Less could also reprogram for
More conservative tranny shiftpoints
More TC LockUp in 3rd and 4th - maybe even a little in 2nd?)
More conservative fuel injector pulsewidths

I don't think the L99 had that much of an mpg advantage over the LT1, at least off the showroom floor.

Give the LT1 a chance.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i had a 4.3 n swaoed to a lt1 n it gets the same n i drive it rough so i would say its the same

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 95 with L99. Just checked it yesterday on a 300MI trip mostly highway. Averaged speed of 72MPH and got 24MPG.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cheavy:
What I meant, was that if I had a choice between the LT1 and the L99, I'd pick the LT1 every time. I understood that you were thiniking of your next engine or car.

The LT1 outperforms the L05 at any throttle position, rpm, or load, in terms of horsepower, torque, and mpg at the same time. The L99 will only give you mpg.
Give the LT1 a chance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that! I just wish there were afforable LT1's in this town(Salt Lake City, Home of the Bankruptcy's,Meth Labs,and weak beer)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dogma:
What kind of mileage does 4.3L engine get in highway-only driving (easy)?

Was it ever available on '91-93 station wagons?

I am satisfied with my 5.7L but would be interesting to know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Average city/hwy I got 18-19 while I was driving my old 96 L99, but my gf got 22-23.

That's with the stock 3.23 gearing, new O2 sensors and clean air filter.

Acceleration was slow as snot, couldn't even spin the tires off the line, but highway acceleration was decent.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hassi (or anyone else please),
Can you tell me about "new O2 sensors" and what benefit they offer?
***I am always trying to upgrade my car.
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts