Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been chasing a misfire for a couple weeks now. #3 is cold, plug is fouled and all signs are point to the optispark again.

I’ve been reading online about how the optispark can function in batch mode without high voltage parts (like vortec truck motors do) if connected to a 411 pcm. There is nothing on this forum about it, but there is some information on YouTube, fbody and corvette forums.

It supposedly requires repinning the (4) LT1 pcm connectors to the (2) 411 pcm connectors, but uses the existing LT1 Harness. You should then be able to log data and tune LT1 motor using EFILive or HPtuners using vortec 5.7 tune as foundation.

Ive pulled the wiring diagrams, bought the PCM and connectors for less than $100. Has anyone completed this conversion?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know anything about what you're speaking, but you might be confusing batch injector firing with spark plug firing.

You can batch fire fuel injectors, but shouldn't do it with spark plugs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn’t be the first time that I was confused.

How I understand it the 411 PCM works on a variety of late 90s and 00s gm vehicles. It also has capabilities to control timing in multiple ways depending on the tune.

I may have been wrong to use the word “batch fire” but using the optispark as a rotor only and control timing differently (with 411 ecm) may have some merits.

I’ll try it. If it doesn’t work I’ll either replace the optispark (I have an extra one on the shelf) and continue my frustrations. or drop in the ls motor that’s sitting on my garage floor.

Check it out for yourself and decide. Eficon ection.com selling the conversion kit. This guy has a bunch of videos of him converting and driving his LT1 around with a 411 ECM in it: https://youtu.be/nk3pvxJtYyU

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It is slightly more than a repin of the connectors. I also had to split a few sensor 5v wires into separate circuits and add the wires for all the coil connectors. I also went through my harness and cleaned out unused connectors and cleaned up a few other minor things.

I used the EFI Connection 24x kit. The trickier part is getting a good base file and then tuning everything.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
1) Batch fire is a fuel injector firing scheme. The injectors are fired together as a "batch". It doesn't care about specific cylinders. This is an older methodology than the modern sequential injection used by the B-Body (and newer cars), which fire each individual injector at specific times depending upon cam timing.

2) These videos are keeping the Optispark and using it solely to distribute the spark from the original single coil. They are bypassing the optical sensor and reluctor portion which was used to sense camshaft position.

3) The EFI Connection system completely removes the Optispark and replaces it with a 1X cam sprocket and sensor, and uses a 24X crank sensor. It uses individual coils for each plug. It basically turns the engine (electrically) into a LSx. It's not relevant to these videos.

This sort of setup could also be easily used on the '94-95 cars by swapping in a '96-97 timing cover, crank reluctor, and hub. The wires for the crank sensor would have to be added, too, of course.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have heard you can use the OPTI housing with just the crank sensor and then no OPTI problems. But haven't seen anyone but the YouTube guy do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is an update from one of the 411 PCM swap designers. The factory LT1 4x reluctor and the LS PCM in L31 vortec mode is possible but we would need to add a few internal connections to the PCM to cater to that kind of setup. The 4x L31 setup is really only compatible with 96/97 cars (it removes need for opti hi rez/low Rez)

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
In case you didn't catch it? the first guy/video is using a rear-mounted distributor.
True but you could also use the opti to distribute the spark,
but not needed for optical sensor which is taken care of by the
crank position sensor in the timing cover (96 only).

Nab

1 - 11 of 11 Posts