Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember seeing photos of that car covered with decals in some of the car magazines of the time.
It was mostly a race car running at NHRA events, hence the low mileage.
I'd love to own that car, too rich for me though.

John C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup.....I remember that wagon very well :D . The original owner lived in Greece, NY (a suburb of Rochester). He was a middle-aged man who owned a one-man cutlery business that he ran out of a Chevy StepVan. He bought the wagon as a "company car". Naturally, it was fast & when challenged, he would do a little "street racing". One of his son-in-laws (he had all daughters) suggested that he take it to the track. First time out, he won a trophy for his class. That was it, Bob had the racing bug ! Over time, it became a "race-only" wagon...motor was blueprinted, B&M TH400 w/ high-stall convertor installed,headers, lower gears, slicks,all the racing stuff & finally a 3rd seat was added so the car would "fit" the top of NHRA H/SA. He bought a trailer for it & towed it with his Lipstick Red Caddy El Dorado convertable. Towed it to Niagara, Spencer Speedway & Leicster, NY & may have even Lancaster,NY.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back in the late 60’s, when my dad first started with Chevrolet Motor Division, he was a “Reconditioning Instructor.” Those guys were supposed to go from dealership to dealership and demonstrate the various GM cleaning products and get the dealers to stock them in their cleanup shops. That program went away around 1970, so my dad became a District Manager responsible for vehicle allocation, and had a job like that in one form or another for the rest of his 30-year career.

In all of that time, dad ordered a new Chevy every month and drove it as a company car. I bring this up, because Reconditioning Instructors always drove station wagons, and back when that car was new, that would be exactly what he’d drive. More to the point, all of his cars were ordered with 427’s, options like hidden lights, lamp monitors, Multiplex 8-Track Stereos, etc. He was a young guy who had to drive station wagons, but other than that, he could check any box he wanted.

It was unusual to see a wagon equipped like that when they were new, and it is nearly impossible to find one now. Furthermore, the two fairly loaded early 70’s wagons that I’ve seen in the past ten years or so, were both, in fact, originally GM company cars. To find one like that, especially that was owned by an individual, is extremely unusual.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know from the 76 buick lineup the 455 was standard on the estate wagon.

my old man also had 2 76 caprice/impala wagons with 454's, and one 76 olds wagon with a 455...unfortunately all hit the junkyard after his uncle trashed both chevy's and the olds was a POS he got when he bought out a competitor. From what I remember as a kid they were pretty well loaded...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.