Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats how much I paid for new inner/outer tie rod, sleeves, idler arm (ALL Moog problem solvers I bought them myslef paid 168.00, thats dealer price reg price was 298.00
) High Milage oil change, labor, alignment,balancing/rotation of my 20" (300.00) total 472.00 is that a good deal I got? Gave the mech 20.00 and bought him his fav cigs. also gave the tire tech 5.00

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, you're generous. I would never tip a mechanic unless there were certain cirumstances. I'm probably wrong about this, but I feel that most mechanics are crooked to some degree. Most of what you paid is labor. How many hours did they spend on your car? $60-$70 an hour is about the going rate for professional work labor. Usually electrical and more specialized type of work is more.

BTW: what's a high mileage oil change? Did you just get "high mileage" oil?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its good to give a tip the mechanic especialy if you go to the same place all the time for work to be done. It's more likely the guy will remember who's car it is the second time it comes in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can agree with both points, but I try to avoid taking my car into a shop if I have to. I get very anxious and nervous when I have to take my car somewhere for work to be done, because I never know how much it's going to cost or if they're going to do a good job. I guess that's once reason to find a good regular mechanic. Also, I generally don't like other people working on my car unless i'm there watching or if it's a trusted acquaintance working under my supervision and or instruction. I will never, even if hell freezes over, take my car to Walmart or another chain lube shop for an oil change.

Simply put, I don't like other people messing with my stuff.

Anyway, that was a little off topic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree I was right under the car with him, I even help him get the car in the air, holding the light etc. I like to know whtas going on and learn whats he doing so I can do it myself one day, when it was done he even let me keep the car in the shop while I cleaned up my baby with some NXT detail spray
. Also at this NTB the manager allows me to use the lift to do my own oil change so its a win win situation

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think that is to much, man over $400, man that is to much for me, just for 6 pieces. we are talking about car right!
i do tip mechanics, because you never now, what can happen, also i'mlike maximus, i don't take my ca to no mechanic, i do everything on my cars, but wheni'm in L.A. visitng the in laws, i can just change oil in there drive way, so i take to get it change, that is the only time i let some body else touch my car, and that's because i don't have a place to do it, or if i'm some where traveling adn the car hit the 3k mark i get an oil change, but i do tip and be nice, never now if you for some reason you go back they take care of you right away, and they do things rigth.

[ 08-07-2006, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: caplt4 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.