Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did in the 4l60 in my '93 wagon. It gave up 3rd and 4th last weekend, it was a little slushy after I took that trailer on a long trip in 95+ heat. I guess a 200k tranny wasn't up to the heat....
Anyway, it will be out next week. I'm thinking I better build it for towing, even though 99% of it's life is stoplight traffic.

Any advice? buy a kit?
I'll also be installing a good cooler after I get it back from the rebuilder.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Have you ever built a 4l60E before?DO you plan on doing it yourself? What is your skill level?

Answer these and i can help you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever built a 4l60E before?DO you plan on doing it yourself? What is your skill level?

Answer these and i can help you.
No way, I have build many engines but an automatic tranny is like some kind of black magic, I will drop it off for a rebuild, I just wanted to get it right the first time......

·
Registered
796 Posts
Build it for the max it could possibly see... with that said, the money you'll want to invest may vary if it'll be a grocery getter versus a "Saturday Night Special". :D

Age ole response, I know. Shift kits (Transgo HD2) are great. Helps with firmer shifts, reduced slippage, etc. There's a number of other mods that could help reduce the potential for failure. It truly depends on your desire to be fast from redlight to redlight, or just a Sunday cruiser.

At the very least... HD2, BW HE 3-4 clutches, BW forward sprag, wide 2-4 band... I'm sure there will be more suggestions, but decide your extreme first. That'll help you make the right decision for you. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
The best and simplest advice is always: Build it to whatever your budget can stand. You can't have "too much" transmission, only too firm a shift for personal taste and your trans guy can take care of that along the way.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
No way, I have build many engines but an automatic tranny is like some kind of black magic, I will drop it off for a rebuild, I just wanted to get it right the first time......

Well if your not building it yourself i would recommend taking a look at our offerings. We are getting ready to run a summer special, at 15 percent off our transmission offerings. The first order will be twenty percent off.

The issue with these transmissions isnt so much the parts but build techniques. I have over the past 6 years built over 1100 of these high performance 4l60E's. And i think that our recipe for these units works. I believe that in the long run you will also come out saving a little cash as well.

Otherwise i would recommend buying a kit from pro built automatics and having your builder install it. HOwever with that said remember its not so much in the parts as in the assembly.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Shane,
I still need to go meet the rebuilder, but i hear you on the building be as important as the parts... I've been burned there in the past!
I see you sell 4l60e's, what about 700r4/4l60's?

Well if your not building it yourself i would recommend taking a look at our offerings. We are getting ready to run a summer special, at 15 percent off our transmission offerings. The first order will be twenty percent off.

The issue with these transmissions isnt so much the parts but build techniques. I have over the past 6 years built over 1100 of these high performance 4l60E's. And i think that our recipe for these units works. I believe that in the long run you will also come out saving a little cash as well.

Otherwise i would recommend buying a kit from pro built automatics and having your builder install it. HOwever with that said remember its not so much in the parts as in the assembly.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Thanks Shane,
I still need to go meet the rebuilder, but i hear you on the building be as important as the parts... I've been burned there in the past!
I see you sell 4l60e's, what about 700r4/4l60's?

We also do 700r4's also known as 4L60's. I just sent one to france last fall actually for a guy with a caprice wagon, i think it was a 90 model. Typically you take about 200 dollars off the price of a transmission for the non electronic model.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We also do 700r4's also known as 4L60's. I just sent one to france last fall actually for a guy with a caprice wagon, i think it was a 90 model. Typically you take about 200 dollars off the price of a transmission for the non electronic model.
OK you're starting to get my attention.... How long would it take to get one to me on the west coast?

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
OK you're starting to get my attention.... How long would it take to get one to me on the west coast?
I would probably recomment a level 2 if you do heavy towing, along with a 2000 stall converter. Towing is really rough onthe 700R4 ins tock form, but the modifications we do allow you to use 4th without fear of burning the band. The level 2 has a billet 4th gear apply servo so it has more holding power in overrive along with a band made of a carbon composite material. So itholds up to the heat nicely. A good cooler is always a good idea. For a 700r4 and a converter, i could do one to your door for about 1400.00 shipped and everything WITH a converter.

Your looking at about 2 weeks from the time you place the order to the time its at your door. Our lead time right now is about a week, and shipment to the left coast is about 4-5 day via fed ex ground. Let me know if we can be of any help!
-shane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts