Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this information stickied yet, so that it doen't get lost in the shufle;

The 5 gear planetary set from the 4L65E tranny is fully swappable to the older 4L60 series. This DOESN'T mean that you are making your four speed into a five speed.

The input and output shafts of the earlier trannies have a set of gears in a ring around the shafts. There are four of them like planets around the sun, hence the name planetary. The newer 4L65 series added a fifth gear in that ring, hence a five gear planetary, not four. It's purpose is to be able to handle more torque better than the early design. They are found in vehicles like Escalades and Tahoes.

If you are rebuilding your 4L60 or 4L60E it will run about $300.00 for the additional parts. I have had a set in my wagon, "Shammoo" for about four years.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
It will cost more than 300 dollars if you want to add all of the 4l65 hard parts. The front and rear planet assemblies are different, the front reaction hub and front support is heat treated, the output shaft is hardened and shot peened as well.

Prices for these items at the dealer are not cheap.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct in thinking there are "a few" other parts beyond gears that should be changed while you are in there rebuilding it. A Transgo kit and a The Beast Sunshell help as well as the parts you mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
One other point is that the aftermarket 5 pinion planetaries are not considered to be the same quality as the OEM 5-pinion assemblies or even the OEM 4-pinion units.

Other 4L60E buildup suggestions are located in this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts