Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here and in a bit of a predicament. I accidentally ordered a 4l60e from here, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=4L60-E, for an 01 Camaro SS instead of my 96 Impala SS. It hasn't arrived yet but is scheduled for early next week. I'd really rather not pay all the fees associated with returning this trans and getting the right one if I don't have to. Hoping for some positive answers... Lol

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
well right of the bat ,
You will loose one bellhousing bolt because the LS is different
The F body tail housing will not have the B body trans mount ( pretty sure on this )
2001 tail bolt pattern is different so you can't switch.
If you ordered a convertor, that will also be a problem.
electronics , guessing here but guys do swap 2001-02 calibrated 411 PCMs so " maybe " OK .

Positive enough ?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here and in a bit of a predicament. I accidentally ordered a 4l60e from here, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=4L60-E, for an 01 Camaro SS instead of my 96 Impala SS. It hasn't arrived yet but is scheduled for early next week. I'd really rather not pay all the fees associated with returning this trans and getting the right one if I don't have to. Hoping for some positive answers... Lol
Return it.

Generally speaking, that trans is not spec'ed as a LT1 (B-body) trans, so it's not compatible.

HOWEVER....with enough time and money..........but I wouldn't even consider going through the trouble on my car.

KW

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Even if you could eventually get it to work, it's going to be a lot easier in the long run to just return it and get the right one.

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,576 Posts
The F body tail housing will not have the B body trans mount ( pretty sure on this )
2001 tail bolt pattern is different so you can't switch.

Positive enough ?
You are correct on that. I run an LS style 4l60e behind my LSA using KDS mounts so the trans SHOULD have sat in the stock location, but the mount location was so far forward I had to practically build a new crossmember. I had to notch my tubular one almost entirely into the tube then reinforce it with a back brace to give it back some structure. It's not just something you could slot holes and work around.

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses everyone. After reading what you all said I talked to a rep from Reman Trans and they agreed to help me out on the restocking fee and they're giving free shipping on the new one. Just have to pay a one-time freight charge to get it back to their warehouse so I'm just going to send it back and get the right one!

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,576 Posts
Sure he could. Just drop in an LSx and he's good to go!

KW
haha, that's all. Even then though, he'd still have to weld up a custom crossmember like I did.

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts
haha, that's all. Even then though, he'd still have to weld up a custom crossmember like I did.
A custom crossmember?

That's not what I did. :oops:

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,576 Posts
A custom crossmember?

That's not what I did. :oops:
If you're looking to mount the engine in the factory location, I don't see how you wouldn't have to. As mentioned, the LS 60e mount way further forward than the LT trans and to the best of my knowledge nobody makes a crossmember designed for an LS 4l60e with stock location LS swap engine mounts.

Then again, I was starting with a tubular crossmember. Didn't have my stock one anymore to check if it would have been possible just by drilling it. Seriously doubt it though with how much I had to cut/box/weld the tubular one.

Not sure about other kits like BRP that relocate the engine, perhaps they have an LS 60e specific crossmember for their swaps. What are you using?

Reactions: KW Baraka

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts
......Not sure about other kits like BRP that relocate the engine, perhaps they have an LS 60e specific crossmember for their swaps. What are you using?
The BRP kit.....1995 4L60E. ;)

KW

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Actually GM knew this would one day become a hotrod question so back in 2007(and it’s still available today), they produced an adapter kit that allows the later model 60e’s to be mounted to the gen1 sbc and gen2lt1 that have 1pc rear main seal. The part number is 19154766. It allows you to retain your existing converter also. Pcm of NC have several trans adapter harnesses available so your stock pcm will control the trans.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Actually GM knew this would one day become a hotrod question so back in 2007(and it’s still available today), they produced an adapter kit that allows the later model 60e’s to be mounted to the gen1 sbc and gen2lt1 that have 1pc rear main seal. The part number is 19154766. It allows you to retain your existing converter also. Pcm of NC have several trans adapter harnesses available so your stock pcm will control the trans.
So with a 0411 computer and this adapter, one could use a newer off the shelf Ls transmission and converter?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Reactions: blueallie
1 - 16 of 16 Posts