Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the going price to get a 4L60E rebuild. The tranny in my 96 BBB wont shift into thirds. Got alot of quotes from 1900 - 2200 dollars. That seems like alot when I get a fully reman. one for about that price. Whats the going rate where your from. I am in Sav. GA and that seems to be the going rate around here.

·
Super Moderator
9,110 Posts
Rebuild = remanufacture, basically.

Honestly, anybody can entirely reclutch a 4L60E without any special tools. You can replace all of the seals without any special tools if you've got a little McGuyver in you. That said, be aware that there are a LOT of differences out there amongst rebuild rates, such as:

1. Does this include removal and reinstallation? This is normally $150-300.
2. Are all of the parts including the case washed out in a parts washer or not? Sounds dumb but it makes a difference in terms of dirt transferred into the rebuild.
3. Is the case painted? It honestly doesn't matter for the transmission but it adds cost.
4. Are all the bushings replaced? This adds 1-2 hours of labor.
5. How many hard parts are upgraded? This depends on how much power you need to handle.
6. How many of the Sonnax fixes and upgrades are checked and/or included? These are good, but pricey, and not always needed.
7. Is the reverse input drum replaced or just sanded smooth? Replacement adds $50-80 just for the part cost. I personally prefer a replacement.
8. Is the transmission tested on a dyno before it is shipped? This adds cost too.
9. What do you do with the 3-4 clutchpack to ensure durability past one year?
10. Are all of the solenoids replaced? If it was mine, I wouldn't care because they're so easy to change, but it is a hassle if you don't like doing that stuff.
11. How good is the warrantee? 1 year only, or longer? This adds cost.

There are guys offering $500 rebuilds on craigslist all day long. They usually don't come with 99% of what's written above. It's a price vs. risk tradeoff. Decide how much risk you want to take and then just be happy with whatever you end up with.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Rebuild = remanufacture, basically.

Honestly, anybody can entirely reclutch a 4L60E without any special tools. You can replace all of the seals without any special tools if you've got a little McGuyver in you. That said, be aware that there are a LOT of differences out there amongst rebuild rates, such as:

1. Does this include removal and reinstallation? This is normally $150-300.
2. Are all of the parts including the case washed out in a parts washer or not? Sounds dumb but it makes a difference in terms of dirt transferred into the rebuild.
3. Is the case painted? It honestly doesn't matter for the transmission but it adds cost.
4. Are all the bushings replaced? This adds 1-2 hours of labor.
5. How many hard parts are upgraded? This depends on how much power you need to handle.
6. How many of the Sonnax fixes and upgrades are checked and/or included? These are good, but pricey, and not always needed.
7. Is the reverse input drum replaced or just sanded smooth? Replacement adds $50-80 just for the part cost. I personally prefer a replacement.
8. Is the transmission tested on a dyno before it is shipped? This adds cost too.
9. What do you do with the 3-4 clutchpack to ensure durability past one year?
10. Are all of the solenoids replaced? If it was mine, I wouldn't care because they're so easy to change, but it is a hassle if you don't like doing that stuff.
11. How good is the warrantee? 1 year only, or longer? This adds cost.

There are guys offering $500 rebuilds on craigslist all day long. They usually don't come with 99% of what's written above. It's a price vs. risk tradeoff. Decide how much risk you want to take and then just be happy with whatever you end up with.

^^^ +1

Having done enough rebuilds myself (replace this, then that, etc), decide on your power goals, and build for durability with that in mind. I wanted to learn how to make the 4L60Es stronger, and have done it to where I'm now worn out on R&Rs. LOL Certainly gonna rebuild the one in my DGGM once! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts