Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm installing a stock 5.3/4l60e into a 1978 Caprice Aerocoupe. I have a stock 95 gas tank I'm going to install. I was going to get the Racetronix B Body kit (harness), but when I emailed them they told me that this harness was only for LT1 cars.

I'm confused on exactly what pump to buy that will fit in the stock 95 Caprice gas tank and also have the correct PSI for the 5.3 engine.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
your 78 is a carb engine setup. so wiring and fuel lines WILL need replacing and install to support the fuel pump power and fuel supply to the fuel regulator.

the fuel pump Racetronic wiring for LT1 is just that ... not for a carb 78 caprice.

also thinking about this ,, the drive shaft and the tranny mounts will also need fabrication... engine mounts also ..

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Jcat: read the first post. He's doing a 5.3 LS.

I'd say stock tank, whatever replacement B sender you want, and put in an LS spec pump in that sender. Lots of B guys have done LS, the info will be here on which pump to use.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
The engine mounts should be the same as the 90s, so the same adapters should work. The trans support can be modified to fit the 4L60E. While you are modifying the trans cross member make a path for duals if it does not have one.

You should just grab the wiring harness, and computer for the 5.3, and adapt it to your gauges. I basically did that when installing my 454. I used the harness for the Holley fuel injection, kept all the gauge, ignition, accessory wires, and discarded the rest. In your case, you may not have to discard much, because you do not have to worry about the old computer system, or electronic speedometer.

You can get an external electric fuel pump, and plumb for a 3/8 inch pressure with a return line. There are a couple of pretty much "plug and play" fuel systems that are fairly easy to install, but are extremely expensive. if you decide to use an in-tank pump, get a stock one for the 5.3, and you should be good. The 5.3 pump will fit on the 94-96 pickup system. It already has hookups for fuel and return lines, and a vent line (just put a filter on the vent line, and tuck it away somewhere above the tank).

Put a pair of electric fans on it, and if you have AC, have them turn on all of the time when the AC is running.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
"
Put a pair of electric fans on it, and if you have AC, have them turn on all of the time when the AC is running"

Fans need to turn off even with A/C above 45 or so MPH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts