Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Is The Best Wire Harness To Use For And Ls1 If Im Putting It In My 94 Impala Or Is There Someone On Here Who Can Make Me And Custom Harness

And What All Mods Should I Do To And 5.3 Ls1 To Get The Best Performance Out Of It

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Check the sticky at the top of the section. Your harness choice would depend a lot on what pcm you'd decide to use. There are numerous sponsors on ls1tech that do harnesses. I've done 2 of my own, it's not the difficult, just time consuming. What 5.3 are you looking at? Is it an iron block or aluminum? 24x reluctor wheel, or 58x? That will determine pcm choices and other things.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank You Both And GA95DCMSS U Just Said Some Stuff That I Am Totally Lost About And Need To Call To Check Out I Think The Guy Said The Motor Came Out Of And New Style Impala SS And aknovaman Thanks I Am going To Look It That z06 Cam
But I Also Saw And 6.0L Iron Ls1 For 800 Is That A Bad Price Because The Guy With The 5.3L Owns A Shop And Want 700 For His And It Has Ls4 Heads And Its Dissembled And I Can Get My Parts And He Will Install Em For Free If I Buy The Motor But He Wants 1000 To Install Which Is A Bit Much For Me And He Was Sayin 800 For And Wire Harness Whats The Normal Price Of And Custom Harness

·
Registered
601 Posts
There is not a normal price for a swap harness. as all are done on a one-on-one basis. The better ones merge the b-body harness with the LSx harness. It takes a lot of time and can get expensive IF you pay someone to do it CORRECTLY so all systems function as they should like the OBD2 port, check engine light, AC, etc. Companies generally charge around $400 to convert a stock harness to a standalone config. You would still have to add additional parts and merge the harnesses. I prefer to merge the two harnesses and retain the stock fuse box. I have over 20 hours in the last one I did BUT it looks totally factory , is fully functioal and was plug and play. Plus I have done tons of the swap harnesses.
I have seen some harnesses by MAJOR companies that weere a botch job. They did not remove the un-needed wires, lacked a check engine light, even lacked an OBD2 port. This was done by a major sponsor on LS1tech. It never ceasees to amaze me.

Rant ended......

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is not a normal price for a swap harness. as all are done on a one-on-one basis. The better ones merge the b-body harness with the LSx harness. It takes a lot of time and can get expensive IF you pay someone to do it CORRECTLY so all systems function as they should like the OBD2 port, check engine light, AC, etc. Companies generally charge around $400 to convert a stock harness to a standalone config. You would still have to add additional parts and merge the harnesses. I prefer to merge the two harnesses and retain the stock fuse box. I have over 20 hours in the last one I did BUT it looks totally factory , is fully functioal and was plug and play. Plus I have done tons of the swap harnesses.
I have seen some harnesses by MAJOR companies that weere a botch job. They did not remove the un-needed wires, lacked a check engine light, even lacked an OBD2 port. This was done by a major sponsor on LS1tech. It never ceasees to amaze me.

Rant ended......

so when i get ready for my wire harness could i commission you to make one once i get all and everything done to the motor

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I just had my harness done for a 5.3 swap in my 96 SS from Current Performance Wiring. I am MORE than impressed with their work. It was a bit steep price, like $900, but it is 100% plug-n-play and all interior stuff should work including cluster and ABS and everything.

Rather than making a stand alone harness or merging an LS harness with my SS harness they took the SS harness, took out the unneeded LT1 parts and built the LS wiring with new wires and GM plugs. It is literally a plug-n-play harness and it is MUCH cleaner and smaller wiring than stock.

Extremely impressed.

Doug

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just had my harness done for a 5.3 swap in my 96 SS from Current Performance Wiring. I am MORE than impressed with their work. It was a bit steep price, like $900, but it is 100% plug-n-play and all interior stuff should work including cluster and ABS and everything.

Rather than making a stand alone harness or merging an LS harness with my SS harness they took the SS harness, took out the unneeded LT1 parts and built the LS wiring with new wires and GM plugs. It is literally a plug-n-play harness and it is MUCH cleaner and smaller wiring than stock.

Extremely impressed.

Doug

what all did u do ur 5.3 and what did urs come out of and also do u like it vs ur old lt1???? is there any difference in performance that you notice cause the guy at the shop is say he will install and everything for arounf 3900 thats a bit high i mean i can install my own motor if needed but did u install or did u pay and shop or someone i basically wanna know ur ls1 experience lol

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You said your 5.3 is coming out of the newer Impala SS? It must be the LS4. I'd def look for a diff 5.3. IIRC, there are some casting differences between the ls4 blocks and the lm7 (5.3 truck block). I'll check and see what I can find.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The LS4 block has the 60deg. transmission bolt pattern for the front drive tranny.
Look for a different motor.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
what all did u do ur 5.3 and what did urs come out of and also do u like it vs ur old lt1???? is there any difference in performance that you notice cause the guy at the shop is say he will install and everything for arounf 3900 thats a bit high i mean i can install my own motor if needed but did u install or did u pay and shop or someone i basically wanna know ur ls1 experience lol
Mine came from a 2002 Silverado. I have yet to get it running (working on fueling next).

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Thank You Both And GA95DCMSS U Just Said Some Stuff That I Am Totally Lost About And Need To Call To Check Out I Think The Guy Said The Motor Came Out Of And New Style Impala SS And aknovaman Thanks I Am going To Look It That z06 Cam
But I Also Saw And 6.0L Iron Ls1 For 800 Is That A Bad Price Because The Guy With The 5.3L Owns A Shop And Want 700 For His And It Has Ls4 Heads And Its Dissembled And I Can Get My Parts And He Will Install Em For Free If I Buy The Motor But He Wants 1000 To Install Which Is A Bit Much For Me And He Was Sayin 800 For And Wire Harness Whats The Normal Price Of And Custom Harness

You don't want the FWD Impala engine. There are many block difference that will make the swap difficult.

1) The bellhousing is not a normal Small Block bell. It's the BOP bell, much smaller.
2) There are no provisions on the block for a starter. These engines used a trans mounted, offset gear starter off the 4T65E trans (FWD).
3) Crank snout is shorter, so adapting other accessory drives is difficult
4)... do I need to go on here?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The accy drive that comes on those engines should be a no-brainer, why try to fix what aint broken. The other plus side is that those particular engines come with the 243 casting heads and a ls6 intake. Theres an adapter made by Hughes that will solve the trans bolt pattern issue. If a cam swap is in order then i would suggest something bigger than the ls6 cam, perhaps maybe the GM-ASA cam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts