·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, I did the harness/programming myself but it's nowhere near done. looks like poop to me as I'm a perfectionist. I still need to merge it into a factory '96 B-body engine harness so all the acessories work like AC, cooling fans, CEL and OBD2 port, etc. I did a merge harnes for Alex going into his '94 9c1 and L33 alluminum 5.3L. I need to tidy it up as I'm testing the manual AC system and the cooling fan settings now. Will post up soon as I have more progress. I reduced the harness diameter from 2.5 inches down to less than the size of my thumb by removing all un-needed wires and redundent grounds and switched IGN wires.

If interested go the link in my sig for more vids.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very impressive work,this will be a good thread to watch.

·
Registered
546 Posts
No MAF?

Just to simplify things?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running it in speed density mode and don't need it. I have not run a MAF on my LT1 for 6 years and with a good tune gas mileage/driveability has not been affected. Same as on my LS1 Camaro, 21mpg.
I do run an inlet air temp sensor in the harness. After initial testing, I reset the fuel trims and they stayed at less than 2%.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
thats pretty sweet man!

love to put a new motor in my wagon

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Looking very cool Anthony.

I'm with you on making the harness as clean/small as possible...I'm always looking for new ideas on how to hide engine harnesses.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
damn you do very nice jobs. where are u located?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Vid of initial testing of Drive By Wire system:

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/aknovaman/?action=view&current=0453LDBWERSfirststart.mp4

Laser cut mounts, headers and most parts waiting on cooler weather to remove the LT1 and in goes the new engine.

Did you make your own mounts already? IF not, I have some designed up for a regular SBC, but can easily modify the right side mount for the 94-96 frame. I currently have a hand-fabbed set (not laser cut) running in my LS-swapped 94 Z71. All of the features of the stock motor mount bracket are there, so dropping the engine onto the mount worked like factory, the bolts just slide right in.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the dimensions of the LS block motor bolt holes, made some plates and use the factory B-body frame mounts and simply made ears to fit between the two. Did them up in Autocad and have a buddy with a laser cutter out of 3/16 plate. Viola...instant factory appearing mounts. It's really that simple.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I got the dimensions of the LS block motor bolt holes, made some plates and use the factory B-body frame mounts and simply made ears to fit between the two. Did them up in Autocad and have a buddy with a laser cutter out of 3/16 plate. Viola...instant factory appearing mounts. It's really that simple.
That's basically what I did, I just wish I knew how to use a better CAD package than AutoCAD myself. I usually cobble a design in AutoCAD, then have one of my buddies with Unigraphics do a final design. I can never seem to get AutoCAD to spit out a file I can ship directly to a laser cutter.....

nice work.

Are you going to use the LT1 trans, or a newer LS-based 4L60E?.. It makes about 30mm difference fore-aft depending on which trans you use. the first LS swap I did in my 93 Sierra used a newer trans, so I had to make completely new mounts for the 94 since I used the old trans (since it's 4WD leaving the trans position alone made more sense).

Also, are you swapping to a car intake or notching the cowl on the Caprice to make the motor fit?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Current plans are to use the LT1 trans and keep my higher stall converter. I have a Z06 DBW throttle body and intake to swap over including Camaro drive acessories. I do not want to cut anything. The vid is just for initial testing as I got the engine with 22K miles and never heard it run. Too many projects as I have a 6.0L going into my Miata and Henry is getting a LQ9 for his '78 Caprice to be installed before the snow flies. I have 3 more swap harnesses to do in the next month too.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Sounds like you have a commodity I lack... TIME. I had to put my Z71 into DD duty sooner than I wanted so the wiring looks like hell. I plan to remedy that after I get another engine build done, my mudroom completed....

If you are interested I have a design for a high mount LT1 compressor install on truck accessories. Doing the body layout shouldn't change it much for the f body belt track.

I also have an R4 compressor design.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts