Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any such thing? I purchased (ages ago) a used 52mm TB off a forum member and was just getting around to the install. Just for sh!its and giggles, I took out the calipers and measured the TB holes and each is just at about 50.5mm. My calipers were calibrated fairly recently, so I do not believe that's the problem. Even if they were off, they wouldn't be off 1.5mm (roughly 60 thousandths). Hmmmmmmm.

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Any such thing? I purchased (ages ago) a used 52mm TB off a forum member and was just getting around to the install. Just for sh!its and giggles, I took out the calipers and measured the TB holes and each is just at about 50.5mm. My calipers were calibrated fairly recently, so I do not believe that's the problem. Even if they were off, they wouldn't be off 1.5mm (roughly 60 thousandths). Hmmmmmmm.

-Mike

What brand is it? I know that AS&M made som eoff sized throttle bodies. I know rusty neese has a 54mm TB if i remember correctly.

Odds are its just not cast that well. Is it a BBK?

EDIT if its a bored out stock throttle body like alot of people do, its possible that it was just made to be like that and marketed as a 52mm throttle body.

·
Premium Member
20,369 Posts
.......if its a bored out stock throttle body like alot of people do, its possible that it was just made to be like that and marketed as a 52mm throttle body.
That was gonna be my guess.

KW

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right. But that isn't what at 52mm TB is, or am I missing something? A 52mm TB should mean that if you take calipers to the TB holes, each one measures 52mm, correct? I hope I'm not trippin here!

-Mike

·
Premium Member
20,369 Posts
......A 52mm TB should mean that if you take calipers to the TB holes, each one measures 52mm, correct......
Correct........if it has 52mm bores.

A TB manufactured to be 52mm should measure to that diameter (both bores).

But a stock TB that was bored by so Joe Schmoe will measure to whatever diameter he worked the bores to......which may or may not be the advertised 52mm diameter.

That's what Shane And I were referring to.

KW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.