Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever come out with a 5th stainless line? I remember there was some talk about Russell's, but I don't remember if it's done. Like to do everything at once, (stealth bolt, pads, lines, etc.). Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Earls makes a 5 line kit for the Imapala SS
It is available through Summit under
P/N: EAR-28A140 for $95.95
I do not know if the 5th line is available separately but you could try calling them @ 310-609-1602.

I have heard of some problems installing the fifth lineon cars with extended trailing arms, apparetly it comes up a bit short.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put the Earl's stainless steel brakes lines on my car and couldn't find a way to remove the center brake line. If anybody knows of a way to remove it please let me know. The problem that I had was finding a tool that would fit their and then being able to turn it in the tight space that the bolt is.

Thanks,
Mags94SS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5th brake line? This is new to me.

Where is it and what is the benefit of replacing it? :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i changed mine (had to put a stock one in 'cuz the ss braid wasn't available)

what a PITA!!!!!!!!!

the hardest part was knocking on and off the retainer clip. gm never thought of having to replace it in the field.

d-dog the 5th line is the rubber line that comes off the frame to the rear end and tees to the rear calipers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed the Earl's five line set some time ago. The upper axle line was a bear, :mad: and I had every wrench I own on the floor, but I finally got it out and the new one in. With the PF pads, ATE fluid, new GM slide pins and homemade Stealth bolt I can notice a marked improvement in stopping the beast. I paid $86.00 for the Earls 28A140 set. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GM slid pins? Boy, I'm really beind the 8 ball when it comes to the brakes! I didn't realize they were up-gradable either!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEVIL.DOG:
GM slid pins? Boy, I'm really beind the 8 ball when it comes to the brakes! I didn't realize they were up-gradable either!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No , there not upgraded, just cleaned, and rebuilt using the slide pin rebuild kit. Sorry for the confusion D Dog! :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe they offer atool to the instalation of the brake lines from earls from Summit, they now offer the extended kit for extended rears.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there any reason not to buy a good quality kit and make your own fifth line?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Give me some update on the process of installing these brake lins. What was the best way to do this? Recived all of my summit Pads, Rotors, and lines ready to put them it this week end let me knmow devil dog.
Simper Fi :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll repeat my earlier question since I've been meaning to repost it anyway. Can you make your own stainless 5th brake line? I know kits are available for this. Does anybody have any experience here?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Erik,

I made my own 5th line when I installed the Hotchkis extended arms last summer. I had the Earl's 5th line and it was way too short. I ended up getting a -3 Male to 1/4" Standard double flare Female bulkhead for the frame end and then cutting and reflareing the stock metric chassis mounted line to the 1/4" double flare the fitting had. On the rearend I used the Earl's junction block with a -3 AN male to 1/8" npt adapter to go into the Earls junction block.
For the line itself a peice of -3 Teflon and (2) -3 Female swivels buttoned it all up.

I did this with no exhaust mounted on the car so I was able to get in there, I think on car with everything there you couldn't do it. I even had problems getting the nut on the Bulkhead fitting tight.

FWIW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the extended arms you would need the longer line, it's know avalible at Summit. And the holes were just right. With the rear axle lowerd down, Cars on Jack stands it was a good fit. It's always good to have a helper. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Harold : you are right !
It is always good to have a helper..
I have been getting the wife.com to help with simple mods lately.
You know, hold the trouble light, kind of stuff... ;)
This is in an attempt to have her become more interested in "car" stuff...
Probably a lost cause, but I am STILL trying.. ;)
Jim...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.