Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to put 6 1/2 in speaker on the doors and the rear deck. I have the template for the doors, i plan on useing 1/2in particle board, has anyone had any fitment issues putting the door panels back on? I searched but couldnt find any adapter for the rears. Is there another template or anthing i can use?
TIA

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If your using the template on this forum then you will have no problems getting the doorpanel back on. For the reardeck you need something smaller than 1/2. 1/4 inch should work fine. Just use the old 6x9's to make the template. Just trace and cut.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k so then the rears will fit 6 1/2 speakers. sounds like a plan thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have 6 1/2s in the rear of my car too. I used 3/4" for the front and didn't have issues getting the door back on. Just not enough volume, that is why I went with custom doors. I would use MDF not particle board. Particle board will fall apart over time.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by WaTTsLOk187:
If your using the template on this forum then you will have no problems getting the doorpanel back on. For the reardeck you need something smaller than 1/2. 1/4 inch should work fine. Just use the old 6x9's to make the template. Just trace and cut.
1/4 in MDF? I might be wrong but with it being that thin in the 6x9 pocket won't you get rattle?

I've always been told to use minimum of 1/2 inch. I used 1/2 inch to make my door templates. For the rears I'd definitely want a solid surface using 5/8 inch MDF and maybe screw in a template bigger than the hole but underneath the deck, screw it in from the top of the deck after a predrill to the metal and after you've cut your hole for your 6.5 speaker.

My .02.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds expensive :confused: where do i get it and how much?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's not expensive.. it's just a fancy name, really. It's actually cheaper than solid wood (i think). You can get it anywhere, try home depot.

oh.. .and it's spelled fibreboard supposedly..

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea its spelled 'fibre board" Did u guys paint it bcuz of the chmical it releases?

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never seen it release anything...

I'm guessing they paint it just for good measure.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always paint it flat black cuz it is brown and will show through any grill. In the door I always paint the front and back to help it not absorb moisture. You can buy MDF in cut sheets sometimes in Home Depot. If not a full sheet of 3/4 is about $22 and 1/2" is about $20. I have never had a rattle from 1/4" plates. That is what I have there now and I have anough bass to shake them and they hold sturdy.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I was reading online about MDF and it realeases some type of phermaldahide I think I can't remember what it was exactly. When I get out of work ill post the link. But basically it said to paint it bcuz it slowly release it and when your cutting and sanding they say to wear a mask because a lot of it gets released.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also... MDF absorbs water and warps if you don't paint it. You could just put a sealant on it, then carpet it...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your doors leak that much, then you shouldn't be replacing the speakers anyway!

You guys are worrying about nothing.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
k so I plan on coating so no worries there. Now next question I plan on using mb quart component speakers. I chose these bcuz they have a midbass speaker plus the tweeter and they have there own converters. I like to listen to rock so all I need is a little thump to here the bass guitar and the bass from the drums. I won't be able to get the amp for a while, how will they sound running off an aftermarket headunit?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
depending on the model they should sound ok off the headunit. The higher end models will be way underpowered and should be run with an amp. They have crossovers, not converters. They cross the signal over to each driver. Most component speakers have crossovers. Higher end coaxial speaker sets also have seperate crossovers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts