Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

For those that are in the point and click mood on the speaker adapters I used these. Fits great no issues and they install with sheet metal self tapping screws.
Scosche SAT69 - 2003 Toyota 4-Runner Speaker Adapter

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sweet, seems like an easier option than making a set out of mdf... How rigid is the plastic (assuming it's plastic)? Any issues with vibration?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The preferred material for spacers was never MDF,but ½" cabinet grade birch plywood...

·
Registered
7,983 Posts

For those that are in the point and click mood on the speaker adapters I used these. Fits great no issues and they install with sheet metal self tapping screws.

Well damn, where was this post back when I did my 6.5"s? I used the MDF plates shown in post 42 of this thread.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=279936&page=2

The Scotsche sat69 at only $11 at Walmart seems like it could be a good, quick and simple option.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23842128?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017366253&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40839710432&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78653251112&veh=sem

In this case, I don't think the type of material used really matters from an acoustic perspective since these are really just spacers and not a enclosed cabinet.

The only issue that I see with the SAT69 is that it would not allow you to mount a component setup and only a coaxial speaker. Still pretty nice way to go for someone who doesn't want to use the wooden plate. :D

·
Registered
7,983 Posts

Fits great no issues and they install with sheet metal self tapping screws.

Btw - when mounting the plates I used short screws, flat washers and nylon lock nuts to really snug the plate to the door. I was worried Sheet metal screws could vibrate out and loosen and sometimes when torquing down too tight you can strip the hole out and didn't want these plates to vibrate.

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
A rather neat find I must say. It's only fair to point out for those exceptionally lazy types (as myself) it's quite possible to install good quality 6.5 coax without a spacer adapter at all. I had to clearance a 1/4" X 2" long arced fillet out of the existing opening though. Was even able to use the plastic mount ring with gasket that came with the units.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Do I have to cut door metal or just install these adapters, put the door panel back and enjoy the music?
It depends on a couple of things. How large the magnets are and their position in the opening. Different brand Speakers have different size magnets and the housing on the back could be shaped different from others. Not sure how thick the Scotsche plate is either. May be time to experiment with the parts and see.

I would just mount the speaker to the Scotsche Bracket and then lay the speaker/bracket combo on the door and see if it lays flat without the back side of the speaker hitting. Try to move it side to side on the door to see how much play you have and see if you even need to cut into the door....you may not. My speakers fit without cutting as long as I had the bracket/speaker centered over the existing opening.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It depends on a couple of things. How large the magnets are and their position in the opening. Different brand Speakers have different size magnets and the housing on the back could be shaped different from others. Not sure how thick the Scotsche plate is either. May be time to experiment with the parts and see.

I would just mount the speaker to the Scotsche Bracket and then lay the speaker/bracket combo on the door and see if it lays flat without the back side of the speaker hitting. Try to move it side to side on the door to see how much play you have and see if you even need to cut into the door....you may not. My speakers fit without cutting as long as I had the bracket/speaker centered over the existing opening.
Thanks.
I have Focal Access 165AC. Magnet fits fine and has about 1'' left-right movement and about 3'' up-down. But the housing doesn't fit, so I have about 3/4'' space between flat surface of the speaker and door sheet metal. Probably adapter can help in this case.
My concern is door panel. Not sure if space between door panel and speaker with adapter will be enough to put the panel back as it was.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Do I have to cut door metal or just install these adapters, put the door panel back and enjoy the music?
That is exactly what I did. No metal cutting and the speaker is not touching the door panel either. No loosening of the sheet metal screws (I checked b/c I had to do the window roller job AGAIN). Here is a pic of the finished job.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is exactly what I did. No metal cutting and the speaker is not touching the door panel either. No loosening of the sheet metal screws (I checked b/c I had to do the window roller job AGAIN). Here are is a pic of the finished job.
Thank you.
Looks like a perfect solution, because I really don't want to cut metal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Received my speaker adapter kit today.
Later this week gonna install it and post some pictures how it looks on car.

This is what I bought on Ebay, description says "Other Part Number: Scosche SAT69" so probably it should work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So I have these adapters.

To fit the speaker I had to trim them a bit, like this

To mount the speakers to adapters I used 5mm bolts, washers and nuts with that blue thing inside to be sure they won't go off.

Made 4 mounting holes for adapter. Probably it wasn't necessary but I used some paint to cover bare metal in these holes

To mount adapters to the door I used 6mm bolts, washers and nuts with that blue thing inside.
Speaker in the center is turning 360 degrees, so it will be adjusted later.

I didn't put the door panel back (still need to fix RH door mirror. It goes left, right and up, no down. All I can see in it is sky :D), so I really hope it will fit as it was.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agree, I just wanted small upgrade (Focal speakers, Rockford Fosgate amplifier and Kenwood radio with backup camera, bluetooth etc.).
Besides, someone has already installed cheap aftermarket speakers, so there were no stock speakers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you this is great have bin looking for a long time to do this got some comeing from the u.s to the uk there a good price too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts