Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....I was driving my brothers '02 Camaro SS around which is a 6 speed and it really made me miss mine that I had. It was truly fun to drive the car around....listening to the exhaust between gears....playing around so to speak. But now that I've driven his...it's kind of given me a woody to go ahead and pick up another one. But I'm trying to keep my toys to a minimal. So the thought currently is to put a 6 speed in the Impala. The turbo's are in and almost finished....so I'm prettty sure I'll have enough power for the fun....but lets face it.....the Impala is a big car. I'd like to know some of the opinions from people that have already done the conversion as to if it was worth it....do they consider their Impala a sports car now.... would you do it all over again.... is it your daily driver?

Obviously I could go back to the auto anytime....but would really like some of the first hand opinions from people that have already done it.

Thanks...Dave

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I prefer a stick car to an automatic for driving on the street but you cannot beat the performance of a torque converter at the strip.

Since mine is a street/strip toy, I had a fully manual 700R4 with reverse patern... damn that thing was fun to drive with a ratchet shifter!!!! 100% control on the gear changes, never miss/skip a gear, awesome launches at the strip, etc...

Are you going to drag race with the car? If it's a street only car and you like the 6 speed then it makes perfect sense to go with a T56. If you want a street/strip machine you might want to try out a similar setup to mine, you might like it. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I take anything to the track it would be the Syclone. I mean I'll take the Impala to the track....but just to see what it'll turn in daily driven form (so once or twice). But it's gonna be more of a daily driven street machine than anything. Even then....Friday and Saturday nights will be spent in the "toy". But I'm thinking I would like the fun of a six speed on a daily basis type thing...lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I daily my 6 to work in the spring and fall. I love it. Great gas mileage, too.
So what kind of gas mileage do you actually see in the city and highway with yours....notice you've got the 4.10 gears....

I suppose that's another advantage of the six speed. Next year...I'll be driving a little over 60 miles each way to work.

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
Well let's see somethings on the list that you are going to need to make sure you don't blow up the transmission, T56 that is

- A very good rebuild on the trans as nothing stock will hold up to the power that I assume you are going to put down with a twin turbo car. Probably want to go with a Viper output shaft as well.
- Street twin at the very least for the clutch, as anything else will roast itself or fall apart, that is for SURE.
- 4.10's would be a minimum, but you may want to take a knack at 4.56's as well, you would still only see about 2500 or so on the highway in 6th. 4.10's depending on tire size would fall about 2100 or so.

I drive mine alot, but I work from home so it isn't daily. But I average about 25 mpg on the highway cruising at 75-80, around the city I hotdog it too much to even car, but I would think that is you pussy foot it you would be able to get about 16 or 17.

- Is it worth it? HELL YES

- Would I do it again, HELL YES, oh I guess that I have another Caprice in the garage right now, gettting one put in it. It is for someone else, but still I am doing it again :)

Let me know if you need help or some information if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice post....thanks for the info. How well does your car come off the line with the 4.10's and the 2.66 first gear? I was actually thinking of running 3.73's....but was concerned about the 2.66 and having to work too hard to get her moving. I'm still going to be using 27.2" tires...

I've already been looking into the the D&D 6 speeds that they setup for 750tq. Also the Spec stage 3 clutch that's setup for 800. It sounds like there is a definite benefit with the gas mileage....and haven't really read about anyone regretting it in this thread or others.

Is the kit from bigfastcar.com the way to go? That was pretty much my plan....(edit) just called them and the numbers disconnected....so I can only assume they no longer produce anything. Read through your pdf...and noticed you mentioned the F2B kit....so gave them a look. Is it safe to assume they are still in business....?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I would think 3.73 would be better with the twn turbo's, just my two cents

·
Registered
435 Posts
Bigfastcar.com was long gone even when I did my conversion 3 years ago. F2B has a nicely engineered solution but it's only a kit that allows you to use a set of F body pedals and standard GM hydraulics. The web site is here: http://www.f2bkit.com/

Sharkx

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would think 3.73 would be better with the twn turbo's, just my two cents
Yea....I'm more interested in having a little longer pull between gears. I'm pretty sure I'll have plenty of torque once I'm already running to make good use of the spread....but I dont' want to have to clutch it too much to get her moving under normal driving either...

F2B has a nicely engineered solution but it's only a kit that allows you to use a set of F body pedals and standard GM hydraulics
Yeap...checked out the site already. I think they pretty much have the most important stuff for me. Everything else I can pretty much figure out. My only other concern is getting the console to look factory. Anyone have any ideas for that along with some possible pics...?

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
best mod, IMHO, I have done....grin factor is high.

daily drive ...no but would if I had to

I drive in SoCal canyons and 1/4 mile (different tires) which is way more fun with the stick. yeah a auto is better for 1/4 mi but I have had fun and just as fast of times with the stick.

I was actually thinking of running 3.73's....but was concerned about the 2.66 and having to work too hard to get her moving. I'm still going to be using 27.2" tires...

I've already been looking into the the D&D 6 speeds that they setup for 750tq. Also the Spec stage 3 clutch that's setup for 800.

....?
off the line, starting up a incline....better with 4:10 with the 2:66 T56 1st gear. Your Turbo won't be in at low RPM's. I had 3:73 and was convinced they would be perfect....went to 4:10's.

. My only other concern is getting the console to look factory. Anyone have any ideas for that along with some possible pics...?

BBHP made a great insert but unfortunately they are long gone. Someone may post the link to inserts that are solid where you cut out shift boot hole yourself. IIRC they were $100. Others have had upholstry shops come up with something or fabricated one themselves

on the clutch thing...and the Turbo....I would go directly to a twin disc clutch. Noel aka gotbearings runs one. if going with a single disc from SPEC get the 3+ vs the 3

D&D is where I got my T56 so you are in good hands.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
Sharkx did a hell of a job on his console with the F2B kit extension piece IIRC.

Lil- Download the manual that I made, I will be updating this soon with new part numbers more information and what not. It can be found here. www.linux2go.org/postings/impcapt56.pdf I have a another pdf of the pedal wiring that is helpful as well, shoot me a pm with your email and I can send that to you as well.

4.10 are great, I love mine, I am running a shorter 315/35/17 on my car so it is 25.7 tall, which drops it a little lower as well, but not too bad. With your car and turbos, I would think that 4.10's is where you would want it, I am sure that the torque you are going to make would be fine down low, but the 4.10's would put it in the sweet spot that you want when you want to surprise someone ;)

On another note, if I were you I would run the Street Twin and not look back as it will hold up to anything you through at it. I would think that the Spec 3+ would be an on off switch and daily driving it I think that you would end up hating it. I heard the manners of the twin are great either dragging the car or in traffic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mike.....and yea....I've got your manual already. Was looking for it today. Want to thank everyone for their input. I'm going to go ahead and start aquiring everything...and will plan on putting everything in once the bugs are worked out on the twins.

On your recommendations....I'll go 4.10's and the McLeod Street Twin setup. I'll shoot you my email Mike. Thanks again everyone for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I loved driving mine. I've gotta strip it out of my wreck and install it in my dggm.

Wait till a few smart people realize that it's a stick and didn't come from the factory that way. cwm9 they're gonna have questions.

·
Registered
537 Posts
T56 is without a doubt my most favorite mod. Rowing gears is pure enjoyment :)

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
..I'll go 4.10's and the McLeod Street Twin setup. .
get a mighty vac to bleed the hydraulics. IIRC the twin set up requires the McLeod MC to be used...so you will have to break into the hydraulics to swap in that MC.

Pedal feel will be heavier than a single disc but not bad. Like Mike said the 3+ is a aggressive disc and not give you the street maners of a twin disc set up which will have organic disc facings.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The console is not hard if you take your time. Cut out a the plastic right where the slope changes all the way to the well at the front of the console.

Next use some fiberglass cloth and resin from the underside to make a 1/4 inch thick plate of fiberglass on the bottom.

Once this is done, the underside of your console should look like this:

Apply bondo on the top side until it's flush. It will take repeated layers of bondo to make it flush. Sand as necessary. At this point you can cut a hole in the top of the console.

Once this is done, it should look like this:

Once you have got the top sanded and smooth, you can paint the top. I used black gloss laquer right from a rattle can.

Use the boot of your choice. I used a corvette boot. The boot is fastened from the bottom. I used thin strips of wood and short sheet metal screws around the edges of the boot.

When you are done, it should look like this:

Sharkx

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
Or you could do my variant, but probably not since you have an SS, but figured I would give you an idea, early 90's Taurus SHO console, after installation the stick aligns perfectly in the whole. ;) I still have to redie it to match yet, but you get the idea and I grafted in the Bonnie 12way controls to it as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did this mod a couple of years ago and love it. Went with a new T56 from D&D, F2B kit, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, and 4.56 gears.

The clutch has worked real good for me once it got broken in. It will easily hold my 383 stroker but I am running stock tires which break loose quite easily. Better tires (or slicks) might be another issue.

I'm starting to like the 4.56 gears now that I have the higher winding stroker. However, 1st gear is not all that useable. I would think 4.10s might be just right but haven't tried them. When changing gears, don't forget the new reluctor is you want your ABS to still work.

The people on this forum helped me a ton when I did my conversion (Roger, Shark, Wood, Cupcake, Mike, and others that I'm sure I am forgetting right now).

I have attached a couple of pictures of my console insert. Gary (ls1 mm6) made it for me and he did a first class job on it (it uses a Corvette shift boot). I used a hurst t handle shifter with a push button switch. The switch is used for reverse lockout. Other have also wired it to a line loc as well.

When you get your PCM fixed for the 6 speed, make sure you use someone that knows what they are doing. Otherwise, you can end up with a mess . Roger and I used Ed Wright from Fastchips in Tulsa and he is top notch. I'm sure others have their recommendation as well.

Bottom line, I love this mod and would hate to go back to an auto now. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and sell my 4l60e. I'm getting tired of walking around it!

As most people who have done this say...Why did I wait so long!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts