Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First water pump was in 2002 with 53,000 mi. Then one in 2004, another in 2007 and another in 2008 - all from NAPA, all leaking out the weep hole, replaced each myself. No telling how long they leaked until belts started slipping from the antifreeze drip. Again I noticed antifreeze at weep hole in Dec 2008 and had a local shop replace the NAPA water pump with a Delco (including bleeding the system). Three days later, the new Delco began leaking out the weep hole! The local shop replaced it in Jan 2009. Last month, just 8 months later, I noticed residue again at the weep hole of the 2nd Delco and the local shop had no solution but refer me to a GM dealer. 151,000 mi now. I've replaced the thermostats several times, have a new radiator which eliminated one of the two original hoses from the original reservoir tank (reservoir tank was also replaced with a new one hose GM unit and GM cap). Today NAPA gave me another water pump, but have no confidence that will work either. Sure could use some advice before I tackle the 7th water pump.

· Premium Member
6,950 Posts
First water pump was in 2002 with 53,000 mi. Then one in 2004, another in 2007 and another in 2008 - all from NAPA, all leaking out the weep hole, replaced each myself. No telling how long they leaked until belts started slipping from the antifreeze drip. Again I noticed antifreeze at weep hole in Dec 2008 and had a local shop replace the NAPA water pump with a Delco (including bleeding the system). Three days later, the new Delco began leaking out the weep hole! The local shop replaced it in Jan 2009. Last month, just 8 months later, I noticed residue again at the weep hole of the 2nd Delco and the local shop had no solution but refer me to a GM dealer. 151,000 mi now. I've replaced the thermostats several times, have a new radiator which eliminated one of the two original hoses from the original reservoir tank (reservoir tank was also replaced with a new one hose GM unit and GM cap). Today NAPA gave me another water pump, but have no confidence that will work either. Sure could use some advice before I tackle the 7th water pump.
what tye of anti freez are you using?

· Registered
117 Posts
Go somewhere else for the water pump, Everytime I replaced a water pump on my 9c1's I went to Autozone. They were cheap and they lasted, I never had a problem with them.

· Registered
2,713 Posts
Go somewhere else for the water pump, Everytime I replaced a water pump on my 9c1's I went to Autozone. They were cheap and they lasted, I never had a problem with them.
I used Autozone pumps too. The other option is to change over to electric pump.

· Registered
75 Posts
After that many failures I would guess the problem is mechanical related as in the linkage between the water pump and engine. A variation in the alignment of the water pump and engine (factory casting shift) would cause premature bearing failure due to side loading. Also, if engine wear has caused a vibration in the timing chain area it could be transmitted to the water pump via the pump drive.

My suggestion would be to use an electric water pump, I have seen them on e-bay for about 170 ish http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CSR-...ies?hash=item35a391c9af&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245 you just bolt it in place of the stock impeller (which is bolted on the front of the water pump) and have the back impeller drive hole welded up. I don't know if you have to weld it up or not but I would.

· Registered
6,542 Posts
while the oem pomp should last. many find they dont. i went electric years ago after dealer replaced many when car was under warrenty. went electric years ago and wp and dead opti issues stopped. having dismantanteled stock wp it is ammazing it even holds water. meziere wp and it has lasted 7 years. again wp should last and many do but electric will work and swaps after are a 10 min job. i keep a spare one in trunk but have never needed it. i use the new delco the dealer gave me to replace the 9th one under warrenty as a door stop in garage after that one died in 500 miles. this was back in 1999

· Registered
1,257 Posts
lol kinda funny cause i just replaced mine after it leaking for a while. seen a spot in my driveway the otherday, it was coolant....$40 for less than 2 months. dont really wanna spend $150 either....

· Registered
594 Posts
Autozone - NEW waterpump = lifetime warranty...

use green antifreeze after flushing - water wetter and rmi-25

next?

· Registered
1,257 Posts
Autozone - NEW waterpump = lifetime warranty...

use green antifreeze after flushing - water wetter and rmi-25

next?
Lol....all he has to do is change his WP every month o_O

· Registered
193 Posts
I also think alignment. Maybe the fan mount is not straight anymore? I'm currently going on my 3rd WP. First one (OEM) broke down (weep hole) after 98k. Next one did only 15k. Have an Edelbrock WP now. See how long it lasts.

· Registered
594 Posts
Lol....all he has to do is change his WP every month o_O
oddly had to change water pump and radiator due to Dex-crap...

also changed the connector drive sleeve as well while in there...

that was 10 years ago...

· Registered
277 Posts
I was wondering if you were letting the sillicone cure after installing your pump? I have had my car since 2002 and never replaced a water pump yet. I have taken it off several times when having opti issues but, still the same pump. I am a novice at these things. So can it be the mechanic suks? (joking) Oops! My bad. You are the mechanic.

Does anyone have pics of an elective water pump on the car? I never seen one. Thought theyre were for racing cars only. Thanks

· Premium Member
1,870 Posts
After that many failures I would guess the problem is mechanical related as in the linkage between the water pump and engine. A variation in the alignment of the water pump and engine (factory casting shift) would cause premature bearing failure due to side loading. Also, if engine wear has caused a vibration in the timing chain area it could be transmitted to the water pump via the pump drive.

If you ever have this problem, you'll know within 5 minutes as the seal around the mis-aligned shaft will leak oil immediately. O'Reilly Auto Parts pump x2. I'd look at a flush and change to the green anti-freeze.

· Registered
55 Posts
Meziere vote...

I've had a Meziere HD pump through 5 michigan winters and about 120k miles. The Noble coated housing has started to peel, and I needed to replace my Gary's cable harness, but the pump still keeps going and going and going. I even have a backup pump sitting in the trunk "Just in case" but it keeps going and going.

quit messing around with OEM waterpumps. My first went out under warranty, and I did 3 others before making the switch (all Dal purchased, too).

-PJ

· Super Moderator
1,886 Posts
I've had a Meziere HD pump through 5 michigan winters and about 120k miles. The Noble coated housing has started to peel, and I needed to replace my Gary's cable harness, but the pump still keeps going and going and going. I even have a backup pump sitting in the trunk "Just in case" but it keeps going and going.

quit messing around with OEM waterpumps. My first went out under warranty, and I did 3 others before making the switch (all Dal purchased, too).

-PJ

I had this happen once. The waterpump drive gear was damaged by a cam oil galley plug falling out and getting jammed in there. TIme to pull the timing cover and check the wp drive gear. IMHO.

I had 3 go out in a 1000 mile span when this happened.

· Registered
607 Posts
I know how the OP feels, my car has been eating water pumps every year to year and a half ever since I've had it. I have had the water pump replaced 4 times now I think, and my current one is leaking out of the weep hole again. I think I am going to switch to electric.

One question: Can you swap to the electric pump without taking the old water pump off? or do you have to take the pump off to make the switch?

· Premium Member
5,440 Posts
I know how the OP feels, my car has been eating water pumps every year to year and a half ever since I've had it. I have had the water pump replaced 4 times now I think, and my current one is leaking out of the weep hole again. I think I am going to switch to electric.

One question: Can you swap to the electric pump without taking the old water pump off? or do you have to take the pump off to make the switch?

well you have to remove the impeller and bearing from the waterpump housing then install an expansion plug to seal the hole.
IIRC you have to hammer/press the impeller out so housing probably has to come off.
Ive had my mezieres start leaking after about 2 or 3 years each cwm3

· Registered
247 Posts
well you have to remove the impeller and bearing from the waterpump housing then install an expansion plug to seal the hole.
IIRC you have to hammer/press the impeller out so housing probably has to come off.
Ive had my mezieres start leaking after about 2 or 3 years each cwm3

i have a complete system ready to go with the CSR pump [NIB-never installed] to fit to the housing i "refurbished". if ur interested in buying, drop me a pm and i'll include some other stuff with it. you will need to do the electrical end of it though.

DN

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.