Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I remember in my 91 wagon before I went to a true sub I had a set of Kicker "Free Air" 6x9's in the back panels. They sounded pretty good!!;)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6x9 would fit with no problem
Yes the rear speakers are 6x9s, I have a pair of pioneer 2 way (maybe 3 way) running off of a cheap amp, they sound really good.

I'm running 2 12s, but I think it's a bit much for my taste.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I want upgrade the factory system in my '95 wagon. Other than the headunit, I want all the other hardware hidden. How would 6"x9" subs in the stock wagon rear speaker position (just above the rear wheelhouse inside the side panels) perform?

The 6"x9" size doesn't open it itself to a large selection of choices, even 6.5" subs have more models to choose from. Would going to the 6.5" be a better choice with the adapters to make it fit the stock 6"x9" mounts? Of course, appropriately size amps and wiring would be used to match the subs.

In the sedans I've always been a fan of 10" subwoofers mounted to a baffle board ahead of the spare tire firing into the back seat. This makes use of otherwise dead space under the rear deck and gives a pretty good bass thump.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
In the early 90's I had a set of Infinity component speakers with 6x9 woofers, I liked them.
I ended up with similar woofers in my home speakers from the same era.

They probably won't shake things, but I never liked that anyway. I like bass that hits like a drum.

In a wagon I suspect they would not deliver well unless you can isolate the rear of the speaker from the car (like a rear deck in a sedan). If you were creative maybe you could bag them or build some kind of large volume enclosure as they are listed a free air speaker.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am running Cadence 6x9 subs, sound good, on par with 8" subs for free air.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I am running Cadence 6x9 subs, sound good, on par with 8" subs for free air.
Are your Cadence 6x9 subs mounted in the same spots as the factory 6x9s in the rear deck? How is the sound quality without speakers in the back for mids and highs?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yea stock location + added sealant between speaker & deck. You won't miss the lack of mid or highs from the rear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am currently running 4 6x9s in my rear deck... my highs are amazing(all are Kenwoods)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I ran 4 6x9 coaxials once in a '65 Ford, my 1st car, I was groundbreaking in 1972!

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you get the right amp, almost any sub can sound good. I have never tried free-air subs, but have heard good things from others on audio forums I'm on. Go ahead, but make sure to let us know what you think of them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts