Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wish I'd seen that a year and a half ago. I was looking for a "newish" SS, and finally bought a 25k mile 96 for $14.5. This is a WAY better deal! Sadly, no one thinks a 20 y/o Chevy sedan is any good these days. No GPS, no back-up camera, no 4 wheel park assist, no titanium Bluetooth 4G LTE wi-fi OnStar iPad markup mirrors! People have no idea what even makes a car go, to say nothing of how to determine its value. Which is why these cars are gone, and have been replaced by rolling iPod coffee makers.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The market is saturated with low mile SS's. People bought em and parked them. Which is cool, but I woud feel bad about modding a car with 690 miles on it

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
car

how do you put 690 miles on it without ever titling it.
Paul.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
how do you put 690 miles on it without ever titling it.
Paul.
If you look at the history this car has been titled several times in Florida and then retitled in Utah with-in a couple days and it happened more then once. Something is very odd about the history of that vehicle.

Vehicle: 1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic / Impala SS (1G1BL52P0SR160586)
Event dateLocationOdometer readingData SourceDetails
06/22/2012 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
06/22/2012 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
06/29/2012 SAINT GEORGE, UT Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:UT11980880) EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
07/16/2012 SAINT GEORGE, UT Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
07/25/2012 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:0109426414) EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
09/04/2013 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
09/12/2014 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
07/24/2015 EDMOND, OK Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
07/27/2015 EDMOND, OK Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:810000739439)

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked for confirmation from the seller and so far no response. Looks suspiciously like another SS (same) photo listed on eBay last fall. A couple examples with delivery mileage have come-and-gone with BIN's in the mid thirties, and recently, a 96 in blue with 4K miles $25K BIN. As they say, "if it's too good to be true...."

·
Registered
133 Posts
Danger Will Ribinson, I smell a rat.

In terms of modding a low mileage car, I had no such qualms. it took me about 5 minutes to rip the plastic crap off the intake. And not much longer until the air pump junk was torn out. Exhaust and gears soon followed, and I'm setting up for tri-y's, rockers and springs. The last piece will be the converter. Then I'm done modding.

No, really.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Just says "Bidding has ended". That does not mean that the car sold at that price, simply that was the highest bit at the time the auction was ended. He probably got a decent offer and ended it early.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Just says "Bidding has ended". That does not mean that the car sold at that price, simply that was the highest bit at the time the auction was ended. He probably got a decent offer and ended it early.
The last bid was only 12 minutes before the auction ended so it ran its full course!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
car

Yeah the fact that it was titled so many times but he says it has never been titled I wouldn't look just because of that.
Paul.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
In Indiana that "Exempt" would mean there is no longer mileage listed on the title(over ten years of age, the federal minimum). Therefore there is no way to ever validate actual miles. making any mileage claim completely worthless and halving the value of any (supposedly) low mile car.

Is that the case in these other states(I assume it is since it is in all the states I am familiar with)?

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
If you look at the history this car has been titled several times in Florida and then retitled in Utah with-in a couple days and it happened more then once. Something is very odd about the history of that vehicle.

Vehicle: 1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic / Impala SS (1G1BL52P0SR160586)
Event dateLocationOdometer readingData SourceDetails
06/22/2012 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
06/22/2012 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
06/29/2012 SAINT GEORGE, UT Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:UT11980880) EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
07/16/2012 SAINT GEORGE, UT Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
07/25/2012 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:0109426414) EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
09/04/2013 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
09/12/2014 DUNNELLON, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
07/24/2015 EDMOND, OK Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
07/27/2015 EDMOND, OK Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:810000739439)

Mike--Hamilton Chevy
Sorry for the mass paste, but just wondering from this:

-Does the same detail extend back 15 more years to manufacture date?

-In addition to ScottLC's info are there any clues or codes the states use when they either suspect [or have documented] an odometer/dash cluster change? Or mechanically or electronically rolling back the odometer?

I'm sure like everyone else when they come up to a car where the mileage is important the odometer shares only a percentage of my attention in deriving the total miles (wear on items, replaced items, not replaced items...).

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
In Indiana that "Exempt" would mean there is no longer mileage listed on the title(over ten years of age, the federal minimum). Therefore there is no way to ever validate actual miles. making any mileage claim completely worthless and halving the value of any (supposedly) low mile car.

Is that the case in these other states(I assume it is since it is in all the states I am familiar with)?
Regardless of what the odometer reads, the pcm stores the actual mileage so all you REALLY need to validate the miles would be an OBD scan tool.

I had the same thing with mine...nobody believed it had 18k miles on it until they scanned the computer.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I admit I just don't know enough to comment on the value of that. I do know that if the title says "Exempt" there will (almost) never again be a legally-binding mileage statement with the car. To Carfax and auctions and states it's the basic equivalent of TMU. I might tell you it has X miles and you might agree but the next guy will just smile and nod...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Couple hours from me, wish i saw it sooner. NOT on CL today.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have to agree with the guys above. Just seems to fishy for me, to move thru that many hands yet, supposedly never titled and such low miles. Yeah Right!!! Give me a documented 100k car over this crap any day.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Clarify

Regardless of what the odometer reads, the pcm stores the actual mileage so all you REALLY need to validate the miles would be an OBD scan tool.

I had the same thing with mine...nobody believed it had 18k miles on it until they scanned the computer.
TGO Please state what car/software you are talking about?

I have not found a scanner or software that shows mileage in a LT1/L99 PCM.

How did you do this?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I dunno either. Mechanic did it first time I got it inspected after I bought it.

Maybe he lied...I dunno.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts