Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Why would you sacrifice the sound quality of a round speaker for the mediocre sound quality of a 6x9?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I'm still using (what I assume are) the stock speakers, and just upgraded to an aftermarket head unit. The sound is nice and crisp until I raise it up so loud that the base begins to interfere and distorts the rest of the sound out a little bit.

I don't know too much about speakers, but if I replaced them- would I be able to get a little more base with clearer sounds at higher volumes? I don't want to run amps and subs. Just get a little kick with the audio quality not taking a hit.

·
Premium Member
20,285 Posts
I'm still using (what I assume are) the stock speakers.........if I replaced them- would I be able to get a little more base with clearer sounds at higher volumes? I don't want to run amps and subs. Just get a little kick with the audio quality not taking a hit.
I installed a set of Kicker KS600 (6" round) speakers in my '96 Impala....they cost about $60-$70 for a pair. Great sound!

When my '95 comes back from the shop, it's gonna get a matching set ;) !

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=kicker+ks600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3cxuRTkhh4

KW

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
I'm still using (what I assume are) the stock speakers, and just upgraded to an aftermarket head unit. The sound is nice and crisp until I raise it up so loud that the base begins to interfere and distorts the rest of the sound out a little bit.

I don't know too much about speakers, but if I replaced them- would I be able to get a little more base with clearer sounds at higher volumes? I don't want to run amps and subs. Just get a little kick with the audio quality not taking a hit.
You could just go with some 4x6 (stock size) plate type aftermarket speakers that will bolt right in. They will sound much better than stock but this size doesn't handle many watts compared to some of the other sizes out there. I had a pair in the car for a while (can't remember the brand) that I got from Crutchfield and later sold to another member and running a head unit with 50w per channel.

Once you upgrade the head unit with more watts and push them, they just don't sound as good compared to the rears. A lot of us have increased the size and power handling with a set of round 6.5" speakers that will fit and by design can handle more wattage and sound a little better. This could be a good option for you with a stock or upgraded head unit.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1264137

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Right on. Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate it. I'll look into upgrading all fours.

The wagon rears are 6x9 correct? Will that KS600 fit in the doors? They sounded pretty awesome in that video, although I'm not sure how long his will last, lol.

I just want to listen to so Old School rock and roll :)

·
Premium Member
20,285 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts