Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't really know my cams well
845 have any lump at all?
is it true the CC502 will sound just like a hotcam?

to be honest, i mainly want the cam for the sound
4 things i'm looking for in a cam...

- direct fit
- very lumpy idle
- sound like godzilla when racing with cutouts
- good with nitrous

i know i'm going to have to do 1.6's? and a TC but i'd like something i could drive without those for now.. thanks guys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by CustomCaddys:
i don't really know my cams well
845 have any lump at all?
is it true the CC502 will sound just like a hotcam?

to be honest, i mainly want the cam for the sound
4 things i'm looking for in a cam...

- direct fit
- very lumpy idle
- sound like godzilla when racing with cutouts
- good with nitrous

i know i'm going to have to do 1.6's? and a TC but i'd like something i could drive without those for now.. thanks guys
If you want Lumpy go to an 847cam.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the 847 cam is way too much cam for a stock motor. He said lumpy idle Danny, not lumpy idle and runs like crap!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 845 sounds ok, but a good deal mellower than the LT4 HOT...ask Karl Ellwein what he thinks the best sounding cam is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by BIG KAHUNA ****e:
Did somebody say 502?

Oh...the cam...
When I clicked the thread I though somone had a 845 ENGINE, and thoguh to myself, does one even exsist? Might have to cut the firewall a little on that one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by MikeOD:
The 845 sounds ok, but a good deal mellower than the LT4 HOT...ask Karl Ellwein what he thinks the best sounding cam is.
How did you know Mike?

LT4 Hot is the sweetest sound in camming.

Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. I have had both, and the HotCam sounded real sweet. But the 845 is no slouch, and it seems to have a touch more top end then my Hot Cam did.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those XE cams don't sound all that great to my ears...Karl, you've told me many times in person

Kahuna, you have a completely different combo around the 845 than you had around the hot cam...apples to oranges for a top end power comparo...both of those cams are in the same league for power, 845 makes its torque a little lower on the tach though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahhh finally some replies lol, great link 94SSman!

alright, can i pull my stock and put in a GM846 with nothing else?

i really like the sound of the 847, what problems would i encounter swapping to that? i'm somewhat a noob to cams & rockers n all & will be having a shop do the work.
could i just tell him 847, 1.6's and better springs? or...

p.s. i dont really want to mess with heads right away unless i Have to thanks guys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by CustomCaddys:
....i really like the sound of the 847, what problems would i encounter swapping to that?....
Unless you have a LOT of gear and stall, your car will run like s--t using that cam. It's too much for a stock displacement LT1.

Also, you'll really what to have a PCM recalibration if you go with any of the lopey cams.

As Big Bill already stated:
Originally posted by BIG KAHUNA ****e:
I think the 847 cam is way too much cam for a stock motor. He said lumpy idle Danny, not lumpy idle and runs like crap!
KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is my Caddy:
http://www.badbodies.com/exhaust/briancaddy.mp3

Pretty tame exhaust setup
- GMPP845 Cam, Factory pipes, Thrush turbo mufflers, H-pipe, resonators still intact

Sounds slightly better (meaner) now with tubular manifolds on it, but I don't have a clip of that.
Idle is at 850 RPMs I believe, could sound lopier if it was lowered. In the clip I should have dropped the car into first gear and let it lope.

Here is a video clip that doesn't help much for sound:
http://www.badbodies.com/caddy4.wmv

But proves the 845 cam does help torque on stock gears and TC (2.93 gears).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by MikeOD:
Those XE cams don't sound all that great to my ears...Karl, you've told me many times in person

I LOVE the way the XE 230/236 sounds. There is a forum member here (can't remember who it is) who has a sound clip of a 383 with the 230/236 on a 112+2 LSA and IMO, it's the best sounding LT1 I have ever heard.

Of course, it's going to sound different with CustomCaddys 350.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.