Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

9/2014 - OE-spec body mounts - possible GP

32K views 85 replies 55 participants last post by  rwd4evr 
#1 · (Edited)
Over the years, there has been much discussion about body mount servicing, upgrades to 9C1 configuration, addition of the "Mueller Mod", etc. There are quite a few threads--both before & after the Great Aug. 2009 Data Loss (some of which may now be restored).

Without attempting to cite all of the threads, here are a couple to put the issue into perspective:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=255855

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=324490

Other than what some B-body owners have managed to hoard, the supply of OE body mount parts is now virtually exhausted. There are some aftermarket suppliers that have kits in both rubber & polyurethane that can be used, but generally it has been with mixed results.

For those who would be interested, there may be an opportunity to get new rubber body mounts made that are as close to OE in all respects as possible, through a reputable aftermarket source--at this point, who that may be is not important.

The reason for this new thread is to gauge interest. The supply source would need to buy a minimum of 5000 pieces (assuming that will be a mix of specific parts/mounts that would make up a full car set). The supplier would be more interested in doing this as a quantity buy--ie. Group Purchase--both for their own ROI (return on investment) and to be able to offer the kit at the best price possible, by way of the savings being passed on for a larger quantity buy from their source.

The mounts used on B-body are not totally unique to that platform--there were many GM vehicles from about 1973 all the way to the 96 B that used similar or many of the same mounts--as the supplier has more than the B-body in mind when making their plans for having these mounts made.

The configuration that would result and be offered for a Group Purchase would MOST likely be the 94-96 9C1 (7B3) mounts, and the "Mueller Mod" lower cushions ARE NOT anticipated to be part of the offering. For Impala SS restoration purists, I'm not sure what can or would be done to provide the "exact" mounts for non-9C1 cars.

A full replacement set of 14 (7 per side) upper/lower body mounts, as appropriate (#5 is upper only), including bolts, spacers, washers, etc, is what is anticipated (not certain whether there will be radiator core support cushions as part of this effort). Kit cost would likely be in the $250 - $300 range for everything. That is comparable to some of the aftermarket rubber kits offered for other GM models currently--and no doubt competitive with the OE parts, IF they were still available.

Again, the real purpose of opening this thread is not to extend discussion or dissect the mount issue further. At this point, what is needed is to be able to demonstrate, to the supplier, what the level of interest for this is, in the 91-96 B-body community.

To be clear, I am only a facilitator--I will have no financial interest, nor any direct involvement beyond gathering the information requested here or, if requested, to provide technical data, samples or other information to the supplier, that might be useful to help bring this effort to reality. If a GP results, I do not expect to run it--that will be either the supplier or (and I'm stepping beyond a possible boundary here) perhaps a club could organize & run it--and if they make money in the process, good for them for getting involved!

Whether you post here, PM me, e-mail me (or all 3), the first thing needed is a "show of hands"--please respond, if interested!

Who is in?

See less See more
#59 ·
Any further word on this?

#61 ·
Nothing at the moment--since this started, I've been dividing my time between GA & CA, and this hasn't gotten the attention it deserves as a result.

I need to reach out to a couple of the potential vendor sources, if I'm able to visit or catch up with them at SEMA this year, coming up in about a month.

I'll continue to pursue this--it's definitely worth doing if we can get a cooperative vendor.

#62 ·
Awesome news. Thx!

#64 ·
BUMP for continued interest.

#65 ·
still wanting, no needing these

I just rolled 350,000 miles and really need these.

#66 ·
Bump,for probably not going to happen...

#67 ·
Now now, if I had listened to that kind of talk, we would have never got Gates to build the Power Steering Resevoir hose they did for us. :wink2:

I'm still very interested in a set and Mr. Bill if you are listening, looks like there would be interest still. At this point anything even floating around in a a Junk Yard (whether low mileage or not), is still over 20 years old and most likely shot. So something like this happening for us or Poly may be our only option. At least we still have Poly but that would not be my preferred body bushing.

#68 ·
I must admit that was remarkable. Still,it was likely easier to convince a vendor to produce a part that they used to make. As opposed to producing parts they never made before. Especially,when the parts are so "model-specific"... Not sure why there is resistance to the EnergySuspension kit(s),as I've found them to work extremely well.

#69 · (Edited)
[SNIP]
Not sure why there is resistance to the EnergySuspension kit(s),as I've found them to work extremely well.
I would prefer rubber to polyurethane since I am using Delrin & Aluminum up front, and polyurethane for the trailing arms. My suspension is nice and tight, but thought that the poly pieces might make the fillings fall out of my teeth.

I have no experience with polys on both suspension & body, it's just my assumption.

At this point I really don't have a choice, as I have a different ride height at each wheel with my current ride.

My 9C1 was pristine as it was an Arizona car, and I didn't have any issues with it, but it's Pennsylvania replacement has seen better days on the OEM bushings.

#70 ·
Doubt one can really tell much difference between the bushings anyway. The most likely cause of differing ride heights is bent,and/or damaged sway-bar(s)... Usually in the rear.

#72 ·
Anyone ever go through great lengths to see if any of the A/G body bushings work? If I had a lift I would play around:surprise:
I apologize if this thread is already linked in this thread somewhere....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulle...r-body-mount-bushing-question-suggestion.html

Both of these threads are pretty long and have lots of good info in them. I just didn't take the time to read through all of it but the above link certainly is titled in a way that would make me believe there may be some info in there to answer your question.

Pretty sure I've seen those A-Body Bushings mentioned somewhere before as maybe working but just can't remember the details. Maybe some more searching here may turn up more details if you search "a body Bushing" and spend an hour or so sifting through all that info.

#73 ·
Since this thread is getting a little action, I thought I'd ask because I couldn't find any information regarding the thread size and pitch of the body bolts.

Can anyone confirm them ? [P/N's: 3524497 (85MM), 3528567 (65MM)]

Thx

#75 ·
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me if the stock bolts are fully threaded or partially threaded?

#76 ·
From memory, they were partial. But I think the threads were longer than usual. Parts manual has an addition size value called "THD". It's 47.7 for the longer one and 40 for the shorter. Can't find what it stands for, so guessing 'thread depth' in mm maybe?

#77 ·
Interesting....I wonder if the Rad Support Bushing Bolts are the same? I just replaced the rad Support and I can say for a fact that the Bolts and Nuts there were both 5/8" heads.

Now this particular bolt may be the only 2 for all the Bushings that use Standard Nuts that you can access where as I believe all others thread into the Nuts that are captured in the Body.

#78 ·
Okay, well maybe this weekend when I'm under the car I'll pull the two different sized bolts, and update the thread.

#80 ·
Actually .0049, but who's counting.

#84 ·
Sure, I'll get it posted up this weekend.....

#85 ·
Radiator Support Bushing

Here is the Rad Support Bushing setup I ihad from an old Front Clip I bought back in 2007. On this bolt, the Head and the Nut were both 15mm and the bolt is 4.25" from under the Bolt head to the end.

Here are a few pics of it together as I stored them and the 4 or 5 Thick washers. I believe the washers were just used under the Bushing shell to help raise the Body Nose on the Frame (if needed) when aligning the nose of the car. When recently installing these, I think I only used 1 or 2 washers on each side OR may have used none....cant remember. :wink2:

The face of the Bushing(s) with the holes, goes toward the Metal Washers and the Larger bushing goes UNDER the Rad Support.

#86 ·
Radiator Body Mounts and Retainers

The proper name for the metal retainer escapes me, but I was not able to find anyone that had replacements for a GM B-body at the radiator support location. I was able to find replacement retainers for Jeeps. The company is called Crown Automotive. The parts are 52001961 or 52002661. The one that I bought was a little too tall so I used a pipe cutter and trimmed off about 1/4 inch so that the nut and washer would squish the bushing. Measure your old retainers and decide for your self which Jeep retainer would work best for you. They were not expensive on Amazon.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.