Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any interest in an electro luminescent instrument cluster for the 91-93 Caprice? (This will be for the civi dash - 85 & 100mph spedo).

Now, don't go getting too excited yet (this is assuming that anyone would even want one). I'm just "testing the waters" so-to-speak.

The cluster could be either backlit style (numbers, etc glow) or reverse (face glows & numbers stay dark).

Let me know what you all think.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can you get them for the 91 9c1 with digital speedo?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I won't be "getting" them, I may be making them.

I'm not sure about the digital dash. I haven't had a chance to take a really good look at one yet (I've got the 100mph analog).

If anyone has some good, sharp, close-up pics it would help.

- Jay

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep thats it was just woundering how i was gonna get pic on comp!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that would be a great way to pep up our old school looking civi clusters. :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would.How hard would it be to install?About what price am I lookin at?

Durand

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds interesting. Sign me up, incase you go thru with it.

Oscar

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
booth9c1ss - thanks for the picture! Let me ask you guys this... does the 9C1 cluster have a metal overlay like the civi cluster or is it just one big, flat piece? Without the overlay there won't be any way to hide the wires.

Durand - My goal is to make this as easy as possible. I know that it will require removing the dash trim and removing the spedo, fuel gauge, and temp guage (talkin' civi cluster here). None of that is as hard as it might sound.

I will be working on the prototype next week so I don't have a firm price yet. I am going to try to keep it under $125 (EL sheets are expensive).

Oscar - I'll keep you and everyone else here posted. I'll put up pics when I get the prototype done.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my thought is to just move the stock civi cluster to inside the glove box and replace the woodgrain with a sheet of aluminum then put aftermarket gauges wherever I want them :D

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had thought about doing something like that. I wanted to use the VDO Millenium gauges but at $489.95 + shipping for the gauges I just couldn't do it. Especially after I had the electro luminescent idea.

May I ask, if you are going to install a new set of gauges why would you need to put the stock cluster in the glove box?

- Jay

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what do you mean by metal overlay ill look today but think it is just one piece

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
willcaprice - the civi cluster (analog speedo) has a metal trim piece that goes between the gauges and the lens. It has "windows" cut in it and covers the edges of the gauges.

- Jay

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well this is just one piece i believe with a hole in it for the analog gauge shafts to come through

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the STINKIN' 85 mph speedo,and would be SOOOOO glad to be rid of it!!!If you come up with one that gives me a better "top end read out" (or what ever) Im Down for sure!I hate going faster than my dash can tell me accurately!It just reads "Over 85 buddy"!!!lol...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FakeSS:
May I ask, if you are going to install a new set of gauges why would you need to put the stock cluster in the glove box?

- Jay
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
One reason is to show the original miles on the car. I'm considering starting the new odometer at zero when I get the car ready to go.

The second reason will be so the passenger can have an idea of how fast we are going (up to 85mph of course) :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts