Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 wagon and just got a 94 wagon. The 91 was totaled and I am going to start removing parts from it to go on the 94. One of the first things I need are brakes.

Trying to get better brakes, (and working at a shop with a killer Napa discount) The 91 had a major brake job 8 months ago. All New Napa Front rotors and bearings, Napa calipers, Napa pads, Russell braided hoses. Rear Napa 13" drums, Napa shoes, wheel cylinders, Russell rear center hose, New GM proportioning valve, Reman. Napa Brake Booster, New Master cylinder, reservoir and cap. Then it got hit last month and totaled.

Now bought a 94 that needs brakes. The pads are getting thin and the rotors have a slight pulse to them under hard braking. Also noticed a small squeel under light braking.

So, Money is tight since the 94 cost more than the insurance gave me for the 91. I need to take what I need from the 91 and use it on the 94. I am not usually a big fan of used brake parts (even if they are from my own car) but with Christmas approching and still tring to recover from the outlay of the 94, I need to swap some parts.

I have noticed that there was a big change between 93 & 94 so my questions are; are the brake componets the same from both years? Was there a Spindle, bearing or caliper change? What codes on the SPID label can I compare to see if they are the same? I don't think I will need to change the booster or the master cylinder, but it would be nice to know I could if I had to. Is there anything I should look for?

The brakes look the same but I did not measure anything while swaping wheels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jay,

Sorry you lost the car....

Good news is, the brakes are essentially the same.

Of the items you mention, there should be no issue transferring them to the later car.

Wagons likely have brake RPO JM4 in all years, but that does not prevent GM from changing the content within the spec in different model years.

I have noticed that there was a big change between 93 & 94 so my questions are; are the brake componets the same from both years? Was there a Spindle, bearing or caliper change? What codes on the SPID label can I compare to see if they are the same? I don't think I will need to change the booster or the master cylinder, but it would be nice to know I could if I had to. Is there anything I should look for?
I'm not sure what you see as "big change"--only 1A2 wagons got the HD front brake caliper/pad setup. Sedans got a 4-wheel disc option on police and Impala SS--otherwise, no real differences.

In 94, there was a minor change to knuckle (spindle) for some models, but all are interchangeable, police sedan and wagon got a different (wider) front caliper and specific thicker pads.

You can call me local--I'm in Canton. Contact me by direct e-mail if you want to talk.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the 94 use's a differant ABS controller unit, dont know if that would cause a problem or not...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.