Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it known that the Alternator and/or A/C compressor on a LO3/LO5 can turn out into some really loud noise making devices throughout the years due to usage?

One of them makes a rattling noise at some point in RPM's that sound metal-like. This only occurs when the engine is fully up to operating temperature.

Anyone?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Inspect it by hand, a lot of play means you can thrown it in the river, or use it as a core.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Alternator recently crapped out on me on my L05. It was making a horribly loud sound and was making me very weary to drive. I got it taken care of a day or two after I started hearing the sound. I think since I have the 9c1 it's rated at 120? or 125? Anyway, I went with a Duralast alternator and so far it's working great. I don't know what the problem was with the old one but I know it was loud and very annoying lol.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's making that scraping metallic noise it pretty much means that the bearing is toast...?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worn out?

Could that be at some specific RPM when the engine is at normal operating temperature?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for me it was my bearings in the alternator. They just gave up.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the LO3 I sold to my dad, the alternator was making some noise and seized up on him last week! stalled the engine. I had to have it towed to my place to install a new alternater and belt, also put a new tensioner pulley for it sounded like it was full of sand. To isolate your problem would be to take the belt off and spin the items by hand. listen and feel. they should be smooth!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the AC compressor clutch makes some nasty noises when it fails. It jingles, Squeaks, grinds.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ac still works and blows really cold. ( I had it refilled with 416a, that is a replacement for the old R12 with the same caracteristics)

Strange thing is, it only occurs when the engine is at full operational temp. And then it only happens at a certain RPM. Just a tad above idle RPM.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! I hate these annoying unidentified sounds! :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe the fan clutch? with engine off check the front of it for leakage and or excessive play.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried taking the drive belt completely off and running it to see if the noise is still there. Exhaust pipe clamp under the car could be sounding off???

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FAN CLUTCH? That sounds like something very likely. Mechanical sounds are very hard to identify, but is it likely that the fan can make some more noise when at operating temp?

By the way, what does a Fan clutch do? :rolleyes:

I will check it for excessive play.

Exhaust clamps are all checked by the shop.

Thnx again!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try this; slack the belt, and spin the AC pulley manually.. mine does exactly the scraping noise you describe

Spin the others pulley to check too

Start the car and run it around the block without belt

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mine is doing the same thing with the compressor clutch i had jus the clutch priced an its 100$ at auto zone but how hard is it to replace

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my ac clutch been making noise for the past 10 years,even switch to r134a,but i feel like im going to change out this year, just because it makes alot of noise u can hear out side the car.kinda takes away from them looks of the car. u can hear much more with a fiberglass hood.theres a site on ebay that sell ac compresssors at a good price.anyone ever buy one of those. now mine also cycles on/off with the controls off..havent had time yet to track down.any ideas for a starting point,still blows cold

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so it has been a while since I had my 93 but isnt the water pump run off the belt? If so I would not drive around with the belt off. Now that said I say spin them all by hand and you will be able to tell real fast. As for the fan clutch, It is heat activated. It allows the motor to spin without having to spin the fan as hard while it is cold and then once the heat builds up it locks the fan and makes it spin with the motor. Good luck.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anyother way to check the fan clutch is whan the mtr is at op. temp.at idle have someone turn eng off,watch the fan, should rotate maybe 3 or 4 times then stop.if it spins more than that its no good

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You won't drive to far with the belt off! No recharging the battery and it will overheat!

I know

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally found the prob. Timing chain had too much play and is now replaced. Noise is gone.

:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts