Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read/heard of 918 failure relating to specific "batch" #'s.....so while reading another thread on a LT1 forum....I find batch # 49826 is what a few of those post were about showing spring failure. These would be the "blue stripe" ones

So.....look at my box for the batch #...same one :-(

I purchased/installed them in 2007 and, so far, no problems...just discouraging that my particular batch # appears to be the same one with failure reports

Car has seem dozens of 1/4 mile passes shifting at 6400......but now I have concerns

comments/experience with this particular batch # or 918's?

· Premium Member
8,748 Posts
If I didn't 'trust' any part on my cars, that part (or parts) get swapped out. PERIOD!

No way am I gonna be in a position where I'm stressin' over potentially bad parts.

But hell.....I'm just silly that way cwm3 .

KW

· Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spring failure threads pop up with many of them being 918. Like many threads I try to read between the lines and in the ones of 918 failure try and get clear answers on the "why" (more so because I run 918's)...and it is that part that is most often never posted. Just the "F&*k my engine is done" because of spring failure. Cam specs, installed height, RPMs when spring broke, etc....AND in the 918 cases wtf was the batch # printed on the box the springs came in. Some failure reports are from point & pay guys who have no clue how to install the parts let alone wtf was done by the shop they paid to do that work and don't have the box or recorded that info.

Given Comp , according to some threads, did replace springs to customers who had specific batch #'s of the blue stripe 918's....I wanted to ask if anyone had and what was their batch #?. Unfortunately Comp has not returned a reply to me for that ?

In the case of a thread I read where the OP posted his 918 batch # which is the same as mine...I now have a "concern". Like just about every thread about the spring failure there is no "this is how/why" it happened, no follow up.

"My" 918's have, to date, performed well and after 7-8 years and a bunch of miles + 1/4 mi track time I feel OK about them and feel if there was a "defect" in mine....they would have failed by now.

Bee hive springs by design are more vulnerable to engine carnage if they fail because there is not the inner spring (like a dual spring) to, in most cases but not all, will prevent the valve from dropping and causing the internal engine damage which can be severe. On the other hand the newer cam designs (LSx) are better managed by the bee hive spring design and there are 100's of thousands of engines using the bee hive spring.

I assume there are several forum members running 918's and would like to hear from those as to what their batch #'s are. if they experienced failure and even from those, like me, who have had no problems with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.