Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering in buying a '92 olds 5.7 custom cruiser wagon, and after doing research i found out it's not an LT1, it's a TBI. Just how hard would it be for me to swap, or have swapped an LT1 or LS1 out of a camaro??? Email me with help please!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LT1 in a 91-93 car?

Number one thing, YOU MUST USE THE 94-96 ACCESSORIES AND BRACKETS! Or put another way, the stuff that belongs with the engine from the donor car.

If you use the A/C delete pulley (B and F-Body)or the Corvette accessories, it drops right in. I say again, IT DROPS RIGHT IN! You can even recycle the motor mounts from the LO5 or LO3 that's already there.

If you use a B-Body or F-Body motor and wish to keep the A/C, we start having BIG problems. The compressor is in the way of the original motor mount location, so you have to use the 94-96 mount. Then you need to put a dent in the engine support crossmember to clear the back of the compressor. The frame rail on the right side needs to be clearanced to allow for engine movement, the compressor is mounted very low on the passenger side. The existing A/C controls can run the 94-96 equipment, but you need to convert to R134.

Contrary to popular opinion, the LT1 is exactly the same outside dimensions as a normal smallblock.

Exhaust is a hurdle as well. 91-93 use a different transmission crossmember than 94-96. You need to weld in new mounting points further aft on the passenger side if you use a 94-96 exhaust system. Then you need new hangers and attachment points.

The transmissions are externally the same. Even the tail. Same P/N and everything. The painless harness has provisions for both 4L60E and non-computerized trannys.

Wiring is the biggest pain. As has been mentioned before, there is no perfect solution. The painless harness only runs the engine and tranny, and is missing a ton of relays and sensors. A harness from the donor car has more wiring than you need and will have different connectors. In some cases, the wires aren't even in the same harnesses between the two cars.

I'm deep into my swap. I must say, I'd rather know less than to know so much that isn't so. If they say, "my friend" or "I heard" ignore them. I learned this the hard way.

There are other issues, like the cooling fans, but those are really minor by comparison.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McThag:
Number one thing, YOU MUST USE THE 94-96 ACCESSORIES AND BRACKETS! Or put another way, the stuff that belongs with the engine from the donor car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm actually, one the Egroups 9C1 list, one member took his hub, balancer and crank pully off of his L05 and mounted them to his LT1 and they worked. Kinda bizarre looking but hey, I'm all for wierd stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you use the Corvette accessories, it drops right in. I say again, IT DROPS RIGHT IN!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a complete set of Vette accessories, I'd even sell them, but they are expensive about 800.00 bucks or so. And there are some issues with using these as well. The Power Steering Pulley hits the ABS unit. The coil has to be relocated and the Power Steering lines become an instant pain in the butt.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Wiring is the biggest pain. As has been mentioned before, there is no perfect solution. The painless harness only runs the engine and tranny, and is missing a ton of relays and sensors. A harness from the donor car has more wiring than you need and will have different connectors. In some cases, the wires aren't even in the same harnesses between the two cars.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can take the Factory L05 harness and the Factory LT1 harness and make a picture perfect harness that looks factory but has correct connectors for the engine and still interfaces with the Factory L05 IP harness. For about the same money as the Painless harness, maybe a little more (50.00 or so).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm deep into my swap. I must say, I'd rather know less than to know so much that isn't so. If they say, "my friend" or "I heard" ignore them. I learned this the hard way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignoring everyone is just as bad as taking advice from people that haven't been there. I do tons of LT1/TPI/MPFI swap a year for customers and I ship about 3 - 5 conversions from TBI to TPI/LT1 a year. Been there, done that. If you need anyhelp, just email me ot [email protected] or from my website at http://www.ghostwheeltech.net I can help ya.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do all 94-96 B-cars have a notched chassis to clear the A/C compressor?

Yes. We went to the junk yard and I did a side by side comparasion for the doubting buddy.

Is the chassis weaker when you do this??

I hope not! =)

Do you have to take apart the dash when you run the new wirng through the car??

Not really. The PCM sends the same signals the 91-93 dash is looking for. The speedo wiring is in the same place as the turn signal relays. You'll be bypassing the speed buffer and wiring the PCM output directly to the leads to the speedo and cruise control. I tapped into all the other wires in the cavity where the old computer used to live.

Would you recomend switching to the 94-96 chevy dash b/c the connecyors would be the same??

I think that would be more work than it is worth. I mispoke earlier, some of the connectors are the same, C204 namely. C205 is a different connector. And the 91-93 has no C207 connector. Most of the wires are in different places in the connector, or are in a different connector altogether.

I went with the painless harness because my wife bought it after listening to be bitch about pouring over wiring diagrams in the service manuals. I'm too whipped to NOT use it. =) I spliced in the stock Impala underhood electrical center and used the existing wiring for the AC, wipers and everything else that Painless ignores.

On Corvette accessories, I'm guilty of the thing I said to avoid. Listening to hearsay. My conversion is to the Impala LT1, not Vette. All of the swaps I've seen with the Vette brackets have been in older cars, like second gen Camaros and Chevelles.

And a friendly note to the people who take the stock harness and a LT1 harness, and make them one. Many of us are taking out daily driver down for the swap. Waiting six to eight weeks for the harness to come back just doesn't work. Now, a custom, pay before we start making it, harness would have worked great for me. Wife would have paid for it! But nobody wanted to talk to me about it. I had to have BOTH harnesses to send in and the time to wait. Getting an intact harness is like pulling teeth in my area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the deal with Corvette accessories. You have to:

Change the Y-body hub and balancer. OR space the B-body balancer 16mm off of its hub.

Move the ABS unit over 1/2 inch, requires reworking the bracket. This is so that the power steering pulley clears the edge of the ABS unit.

Fashion a new line from the power steering pump back to the stock resevoir. Fashion a new line from the PS pump into the steering box.

Move the coil from the drivers side head to the passenger side.

Make AC lines that go from the Vette compressor into the B-body condensor and evaporator.

Thats a rough overview of what needs to be done. I considered it, but changed my mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.