Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original exhaust finally gave up after 21 years. Does anyone know if its possible to do a dual outlet muffler and run dual tailpipes? Cant seem to find any info. Id like to do real duals but the pipe would hang low due to the crossmember. I want something with a little rumble at least. I have a guy who will bend pipe for me.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
you could always find a crossmemeber for a 94 and up car to run duals. think there is some slight modifying to make it fit. i dont think theres enough room to run duals off a dual outlet muffler but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Cut and weld a notch in your original crossmember and you can run true duals. It was easier to do that than to try to fit the 94-96 crossmember. Get the drivers side heat shields from an LT1 car so your not cooking the floor. I have seen cars with a splitter pipe right behind the cat going to twin mufflers / tailpipes before. However, I don't think that a muffler with 1 in, 2 out will work.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
If you are going to keep it at the original height, you can put the hump in your trans cross member. The pipe will run close to the floor, but you can pretty much mirror the passenger's side. I welded a channel piece from a junk yard cross member to the top of it, then cut the bottom out, and welded the holes closed. with pieces of what I cut out. You can cut the whole way to the inside of the top of the tube. You can bolt a hanger on the end bolt of the drive shaft loop.

If I did it over again, I would clearance the floor a little. I deleted the cat and did not use one on the driver's side. Without the cat, I did not install a heat shield, and do not notice any heat. If you are going to run the pipe along side of the tank, you should put a heat reflective tape on the tank. I put shorty headers on the car as well. One caution is to put the trans in 1st gear when setting up the pipe clearance.

I am running 2 1/2 inch pipes, and I have about 1/8 of an inch sticking below the frame. If you have load leveling, the driver's side muffler will take its place.

I wrapped my headers (they all rust unless they are stainless) to keep the engine compartment temps down. I am trying to be kind to my wiring, and the brake lines beside the driver's side header. You also need to put some insulator material around the area in front of the trans linkage pivot on the frame to keep from burning the wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts