Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys, Im redoing the car and Im starting with the audio and i've been eyeballing a double din for a while now. I have a 93 LS and needless to say there aren't many people on here with that year and I can't find any information on anyone with a double din in the this years model. Well I did a search through google and it pulled this thread from a craigslist ad.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1624088937.html

The person in the add said that this is a 93 and what do you know there is a double din sitting right there. The install looks clean from the photos and it doesn't look like there was any movement of the climate controls or anything. I have a really good fiber glass guy that could cu the dash mat that comes over the top and extend the spot where my single din deck is but I am looking for any info from people that have done this install or know how this install was done with the original look.

3n43mf3lf5O25Pf5R1a3279d836f17de51f02.jpg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take that your car is a 93 as well? what all did you have to cut and what model is your double din?

·
Registered
951 Posts
i have a valor double din and the black plastic inside the dash needs to be cut out in the back in order for double din to sit flesh or else its gonna stick out and modify ur wood peice to fit the double din its all easy and if u have tools its priceless! would post pics but sun just went down

·
Registered
951 Posts
if u have the right tools then the job will be smooth and quick.... i went thru 2 dash panels by cutting too big and trying to eyeball and rush! so take ur time dont be affraid to use a ruler and pencil to template the tv and post pics when u do it!

7,191 Posts
if u have the right tools then the job will be smooth and quick.... i went thru 2 dash panels by cutting too big and trying to eyeball and rush! so take ur time dont be affraid to use a ruler and pencil to template the tv and post pics when u do it!

aw hell naw im paying someone to do this, some things are better left to professionals

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my thoughts exactly so glad that I was able to get better advice about it this time around the last time I made this post (before the server crash) I was told that i would have to swap the climate controls and all types of crazy stuff....Now on to Sonic electronics to buy a double din

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to order a double din today and I was informed by my local audio shop that a 6.5" double din would fit better than a 7" double din so that is some information for you other guys that were looking into getting a double din unit. Sonic Electronics has some pretty good prices.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I went to order a double din today and I was informed by my local audio shop that a 6.5" double din would fit better than a 7" double din so that is some information for you other guys that were looking into getting a double din unit. Sonic Electronics has some pretty good prices.

THATS STRAIGHT I SEEN SOMEONE ON HERE PUT A 10 INCH IN THEIR IMPALA!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got mine installed...Not as hard as i thought that it would be. Did find out that the 6.5" screens fit better then 7", not saying that 7" dont fit but I found that when I had the 6.5" installed it basically slid right in after i cut out the bottom for the other radio. I have a Clarion vx409 dvd unit and I luv it so far, may upgrade to a pioneer sometime in the mere future, but I am definitely satisfied of the way this one operates and looks for the time being.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the delay, they got me working night shifts now and my sleep cycle is thrown off completely.....Here are the pictures all that needs to be done now is the wood trip needs to be fiber glassed. As far as cutting, I didn't have to cut anything at all everything was already the size needed for the double din to just slide right in...

http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232fp53835>nu=54<4>588>254>WSNRCG=32<9:2534;345nu0mrj

http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232fp53832>nu=54<4>588>254>WSNRCG=32<9<332<9345nu0mrj

1 - 20 of 25 Posts