Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
You can put a 93 engine in with some work or any other small block (or big block for that matter). But don't let the opti's bad reputation scare you away from the LT1. A properly maintained opti can last 200K+ (mine did). Usually what kills them is a clogged vent harness, a prolonged exposure to coolant from a leaky water pump, or leaking oil from the water pump drive seal. It doesn't happen overnight. But if you let it go too long, don't be surprised if the opti craps out. Another reason they get a bad rep is because of all the cheap knock off units out there, (which never seem to last) and in my opinion are complete garbage. You get what you pay for definitely applies here. Stick with a OEM Delco/Delphi and you shouldn't have any problems for awhile.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Will it fit? Yes.

Is that the stupidest, most retarded idea I've ever heard on this forum? Yes.

You've 'heard' about Opti problems. Never experienced them yourselves. Yet your willing to throw away a high performance 260hp motor for a 180hp truck motor.

Don't do it. Besides, you could buy two optis for what the engine swap is gonna cost you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naw I was just asking. I saw a Imp that needs a engine. Thats why i asked bout the other engine I just saw on another forum that msd make a water proof optispark unit and they said you can get a coilpack off a ls motor and delete the optispark. Has anybody heard of either of these before?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Naw I was just asking. I saw a Imp that needs a engine. Thats why i asked bout the other engine I just saw on another forum that msd make a water proof optispark unit and they said you can get a coilpack off a ls motor and delete the optispark. Has anybody heard of either of these before?
MSD does make a replacement opti, but it's pricey. If you maintain your stock unit as Goldmaster stated, you should be OK. Personally, I've replaced one opti with 186,000 miles on the clock. As for the LS coil setup, do a search for "LTCC" and you'll find some info. I know there's a website for it, but can't find the URL; maybe someone will jump in and post the URL for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.