Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blower motor isn't working. The fan works (adding remote power), the relay checks out, the resistor block seems to be okay, and what appears to be the problem is no signal coming from the automatic climate control for the fan speeds. Only gets 0.5V at the blower motor connection.

I know these climate control modules have a self-diagnostic capability. Anyone know how to look into this to see if the blower motor circuit is working properly?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I had similar problem with my 92. The plug for the resistor pack wasnt makin good contact so i bent the plugs a lil to get it to work. Never did check power from hvac once i got it workin

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
The electronic climate controls have a transistorized fan control unit. If it fails, the motor will not run. At some point the fan control will probably fail. The only remedy is to replace it. Having a spare is a good way to check the operation. You can disconnect the one in the car, and hook up the other one. If the fan runs, you have found the problem. New modules are extremely expensive and the aftermarket fans do not move air nearly as well as the OEM units.

I also had a fan that would work with an outside source of power, but not in the car. The brushes in the motor wear out, and if it is in the wrong position for too long, they no longer make contact with the commutator. The motor is not rebuildable. It is also a herculean task to remove the fan from the shaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts