Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats going on guys? I have a 93 Caprice L05 and just recently ive been noticing a couple issues with the starting and overall idle of the car. First off about 2 weeks ago I started the car and it acted as if it barely wanted to turn over. It only took one turn of the key to get it to start, but when it did the lights got very dim and you could hear that it was somewhat struggling to start. Well that happened only that one time and didn't occur again for a while until one day I was driving and put it in reverse and the car cut off...this was kind of strange so I immediately put the car in park and she started right up. Now a couple of days ago I was driving and a stopped at a light and the car starting acting as if it were going to cut out, the battery voltage started to drop in and out and the lights were flickering a little but I gave it a little gas and it went away.
Its time for a tune up, so Im thinking that may be whats wrong but Im not sure if that is all. The Alternator is less than 4 months old and I'm running 2 batteries (additional yellow top in the trunk). My question is what else could be causing these issues? could it be that one of the 2 batteries is not holding charge very well? Is there anything else that I should look into change out besides the usual suspects of tune up, cap and rotor button, and dizzy.

Cliff Notes

*Car struggled to turn over (sounds as if the battery was somewhat drained)Slow turnover
*Car cut off when in reverse
*Car was cutting in and out (RPMS never dropped just battery voltage)
*Time for tune up, but looking for other suggestions of service or repair

Thanks again

· Registered
327 Posts
I know you stated the alternator is only four months old, but it sounds like an alternator problem. I'd take it to the parts store and have them check it out. I assume you're running dual batteries because of stereo equipment? If so, are you using a stock alternator? You said you replaced it four months ago--how long did the previous alternator last? If you are running a lot of stereo equipment, might be good to step up to a higher amperage alternator to support the extra draw.

· Registered
248 Posts
Check battery cables 1st. I had similar probs years ago with a '92 LO5 and new battery cables fixed it.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I already have a high output alternator....the alt that I have now is a 200 amp and it is less than 4 months old, I'm going to still get it tested but I am going to look into the primary battery being tested as well as looking at the battery cables......Are the cutting out/sputtering symptoms a result of a faulty battery/alternator as well?

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for my ignorance on the subject but what is the CEL? and I was reading on another post and some one had similar issues and everyone was recommending that he check the EGR valve so I guess I will be looking into that as well?

· Registered
248 Posts
sorry for my ignorance on the subject but what is the CEL? and I was reading on another post and some one had similar issues and everyone was recommending that he check the EGR valve so I guess I will be looking into that as well?
CEL =check engine light.

EGR is a possibility however as I said, when I was having much the same problems, it was because my battery cables were in bad shape.

· Registered
327 Posts
I agree with draginwagin about checking the cables. I know that when I put some aftermarket larger cables on my '95, I first installed with the alternator cable closest to the battery then the starter cable and then the aux post cable. The car wouldn't crank. When I rearranged the cables so that the starter cable was on first, it started right up and I haven't had a problem since. Check for corrosion on any of the terminals as well. I've seen the smallest amount of corrosion cause an instant discharge in the past. Also check the body ground (goes from negative battery terminal to the passenger fender); you may want to run a heavier gauge wire for the ground (if you aren't already).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.