Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in or around Chicago area with an extra dual crossmember lying around from 94 - 96. Working on a 93 project and would like to run dual exhaust without having to cut and weld crossmember. Wondering if anyone has one or would be willing to trade for a single exhaust crossmember.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Gotta use the 93. The 94-96 are wider & they don't bolt up to trans or frame. Ran into same problem w/ my 91. I am in the detroit area I think I got one if you still want to make a go of it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, you are saying the 94 - 96 RMW frames are wider? I thought they were the same size 91 - 96. Is the tailshaft trans mount from the 94 - 96 different than the 91 - 93? I would not use the original holes in the frame..but drill new ones. Thanks for the offer.. but Detroit is a little too far.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Frames are the same width. Drilling new holes is a requirement as I recall. I have a slightly rusty one with 2 of the frame bolts rusted into the nuts and broken off. Price is $0.00 but if Detroit is too far Rochester definitely is too...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I think the box portion of the frames is where the problem lies. It is too short on both sides for these to fit. Go to a junkyard and check both cars out if you can. You might see the difference. It has been a couple years since I tried this so I can't help much until I get my 91 rolling again in spring.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a '94 crossmember in my '93. It required adding a piece of steel to the passenger side to effectively lengthen the boxed section of the frame. If I remember correctly the drivers side just needed new holes drilled. And the center of the crossmember had to be modified for the mount location, and clearance for the VSS. I don't recall any floor pan clearance issue, but that was a few years ago.

Not a bolt in affair.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Wagons are already blessed with fully boxed frames which makes it much closer to a bolt-in. Or Clear Image can set you up with a real slick tubular one for about 2 bills.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
wytltng, do you have a station wagon? This 91 you speak of, is it a wagon?
Gerry
Don't have a wagon anymore. I was talking about my own experiences with my 91 sedan when I was re-doing my drivetrain a couple of years ago. I can't re-call all the issues I had. Sorry if I led anyone down the wrong path.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the information and advice....

Rochestor is not a option, thanks.

I think I am just going to make one out of 2 X 4 square stock.... if I can't find anything closer.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
If you have fab skills , consider a 70ish GM. "A" body crossmember as a starting point. It is a simple matter of cutting the ends off to length and welding angles on the ends to sit on the wagon rails. Mine is 1970 Cutlass

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can fabricate pretty much anything....but wanted to just drop a dual one in for time savings. If anyone lives close to Chicago has something..let me know....otherwise my torches, chop saw, and welder will be getting a workout over the holiday weekend...

Happy Holidays to All.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts